Are you experiencing vaginal bleeding during pregnancy? This is known as spotting when the bleeding is light and the color of the blood can vary from red to brown. However, bleeding during pregnancy can occur due to several other factors as well, which can indicate serious conditions.
Serious causes of bleeding during pregnancy
- Bleeding during early pregnancy may indicate miscarriage or an ectopic pregnancy. Abdominal pain and cramps are likely to be experienced in both the cases.
- Early miscarriage occurs when your baby is not developing normally, making bleeding heavy. Some women experience early miscarriage even before knowing about their pregnancy. When the bleeding signifies a miscarriage, tummy cramps are common and the bleeding is subjected to becoming abnormally heavy.
- An ectopic pregnancy occurs when the fertilized egg implants itself outside your uterus. Dark, continuous bleeding with a watery appearance is likely in case of this condition. An ectopic pregnancy can cause severe complications and should be removed.
- Molar pregnancy is another condition in which vaginal bleeding during pregnancy is likely to occur. It is not very common, but should be removed immediately. It occurs when the embryo does not develop properly, but some placenta-forming cells continue to grow and multiply.
- A blow to your abdomen as a result of a fall or any kind of injury may also cause bleeding during pregnancy.
Dealing with bleeding during pregnancy
- It is important for you to call your doctor, midwife, or hospital healthcare professional and let them know, even if the bleeding stops. You may need to visit the hospital for undertaking examinations and tests.
- A gentle examination of the insides of your vagina is carried out. You may also be recommended to undertake an ultrasound scan. An ultrasound scan is effective in ruling out ectopic pregnancies.
- Certain routine tests may also be prescribed by your doctor. Blood tests and urine tests are undertaken for checking out the levels of your pregnancy hormones. A test for finding the rhesus status and blood group is also required.
In case of light vaginal bleeding or spotting during pregnancy, your baby is most likely to be unaffected in any way. A lot of pregnancies carry on and turn out to be successful in spite of bleeding. Such cases of light bleeding commonly stop on their own.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!