Consuming less fiber, low intake of water or having too much of junk and spicy food lead to constipation, which is very irritating and makes you feel lethargic. Less exercise and a side effect of certain medications can also result in constipation.
Whatever may be the cause behind it, you can easily relieve yourself from this stomach ailment without consuming any drugs. It can make you miserable and it is medically defined as less than three stools a week or worse. Daily bowel movement is essential to keep healthy and feel fresh.
You can try these natural treatments to relieve your discomfort and keep it at bay:
- Yogurt: It is an excellent source of probiotics which contain beneficial bacteria. Yogurt is a great remedy for constipation. You can consume it daily to keep constipation at bay.
- Baking Powder: Baking powder has an alkalizing effect and eases movement through bowels. Add a teaspoon to cup of warm water and drink it quickly for best results.
- Oatmeal Tea: When constipation is severe, this remedy is the best. Oatmeal is fibrous, Honey is healing and moisturizing, and Chamomile is an anti-inflammatory agent which soothes the stomach. Together, they can cure severe constipation. So, take a cup of water and add three teaspoons of oatmeal, a Chamomile tea bag and two teaspoons of honey. Drink 2-3 times a day if your problem is severe.
- Lemon: Lemon contains citric acid, which has the ability to stimulate the function of digestion in your body. The action of lemon on your digestive system enables it to get rid of the toxins and undigested material that generally accumulates on the colon's (the last part of your small intestine) walls, giving rise to constipation as a result. Collect the juice of 1 lemon in a cup by squeezing it. Fill the rest of the cup with warm water. Drink it every morning.
With these Ayurvedic remedies, you can very effectively deal with constipation that has been bothering you. The treatment modalities include panchakarma, external therapies, internal medications, Activities, Advice of food and lifestyle changes.
- Panchakarma: Basti
- Externally: Chakra Basti, Abhyanga, Shiro Dhara
- Internally: Deepana (Carminatives)
- Vatanulomana: Helps in balancing Apana Vata, acts as mild laxatives
- Panchakarma: Basti