Neck pain is fairly common among adults. It results from the soft tissues such as ligaments, muscles and tendons. It can result from spasms and muscle strain from neck problems such as disc degeneration and spinal stenosis. Be it a chronic pain or a sudden one, addressing it is important to get on with the daily office life.
Here is a list of some quick solutions, which when followed can give considerable relief from the pain:
- Computer should be at eye level: While sitting at it you must ensure that the middle of the computer screen is parallel to the eye. If it is required that you bend your neck to view the screen, then you should adjust the screen, without bending your neck. This happens most often while working with a laptop. The chair length can be adjusted to fix this problem.
- Refrain from neck straining while typing: If typing requires straining the neck, it should be ensured that the same doesn’t happen. This is the case while texting in a mobile. A better solution is to fix this is to take the mobile at a level which does not require the neck bend down. It will ensure that the joints and discs of the neck are not stressed.
- Use headset: If the work demands longer time on the phone, instead of bending the neck it makes sense to use a headset. Practicing the chin tuck exercise can help in this case. This exercise can strengthen the soft muscles of the neck. It also maintains the alignment of the head and the shoulder.
- Stay hydrated: Enough hydration is necessary to ensure spinal alignment and disc height. Hydration also takes a eases the spine and relaxes the soft muscles. A practice of adequate hydration throughout the day can help stop the degeneration of the cervical disc. While drinking water is a matter of practice, keeping a water bottle serves as a constant reminder to drink it throughout the day. Keeping an alarm after 2 hours also serves as a constant reminder to drink water.
- Carrying weight: One common mistake committed by most people is to carry weight with one hand. Since the load doesn’t distribute evenly, it strains the neck muscles causing pain. It should be ensured that the office briefcase or the heavy purse is carried with equal stress on both the shoulders. This will ensure a painless day at the office.
- Maintaining a good posture: Poor sitting or walking posture is often the cause of neck pain. While sitting it should be ensured that the back is straight and rests in the chair once in awhile. The neck and head should fall in a line while working.