Acne or pimples is a skin disease that occurs due to clogging of pores by the oily substance called sebum. Acne is not serious health risk however they do leave permanent scars. Acne can be affected by the menstrual cycle, anxiety and stress, hot and humid climates, oil based makeup, greasy hair and pimple squeezing. It is most common amongst teenagers.
HOW IS ACNE/PIMPLES DIAGNOSED?
It pops up on the face Neck, back, chest and shoulders. They can appear as whiteheads, blackheads, Papules, pustules, nodules or cysts. A thorough physical examination can detect an acne or pimple by: • Observing the characteristics of the pimple-like skin rash • Presence of other types of skin problems - e.g. cracking, pustules, crusting, vesicles, blisters, plaques. • Distribution of the areas of skin affected • Feel lymph nodes for enlargement
HOW IS ACNE/PIMPLES TREATED?
The treatment for acne pimples is through medications and extensive self care. The medication is prescribed by the practitioner. There are various self care methods to treat and further avoid pimples which are changes in diet, maintaining hygiene, washing hands and face regularly and exercise. A few treatments that help in removal of pimples are laser treatment, chemical skin peeling and dermabrasion.
DID YOU KNOW?
Acne might be a cause of depression or low self esteem and hence needs medical attention if it is severe.
Acne vulgaris, which is more commonly known as acne or pimples generally affect men and women just when they hit their puberty. Acne mostly affects the face, chest and back region. Acne is generally characterized into the following, depending on the way they appear-
• Occluded pores, generally known as blackheads and whiteheads, are found in plenty on the nose. Blackheads and whiteheads are basically a result of dirt clogged in skin pores.
• Pimples are reddish bumps
• Pustules, are pus containing bumps
• Zits are generally deep pus filled pimples
Pimples on face and other parts of the body are generally a result of the activation of the sebaceous gland at the time of puberty, along with the various hormonal changes that take place too. Acne can prove to be especially embarrassing for many during their teen years, and teenagers with this problem always try to determine how to get rid of pimples. There are some easy home remedies for acne that can prove to be highly effective in cleaning acne. For instance-
• Aspirin- This medication contains salicylic acid as one of its main ingredients. Salicylic acid is great for acne treatment, and is in fact one of the main components in acne removing medicines. Thus, the application of aspirin paste for about 10 minutes in the affected area works wonders.
• Tea tree oil- This oil contains antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. Thus regular application of tea tree oil for a few hours will effectively reduce pimples.
• Ice- Ice is great for reducing inflammation of the pimple. The blood vessels constrict with the application of ice on the pimple, thus reducing redness and puffiness.
• Apple cider vinegar- It contains citric acid, which gets rid of bacteria and also acts as a chemical peel for the skin. The vinegar thus, effectively cleans the skin, which will automatically prevent the outbreak of pimples.
Apart from the above mentioned remedies, creams containing benzoyl peroxide also helps with the reduction of acne. Benzoyl peroxide kills bacteria and dries the skin so that it peels off.
Getting rid of pimples is not the only solution to the acne problem, one also has to consider how to prevent pimples. Some effective ways are-
• One of the most efficient ways of staying pimple free is keeping the face clean. Removing dead skin, dirt and oil from the face will prevent the outbreak of pimples.
• Moisturizing is also essential for healthy skin
• Too much of make-up should be duly avoided
• Overexposure to the sun can also cause acne. This is because UV rays of the sun worsen acne inflammation and redness. Thus, a sunscreen work great to protect the skin from damage.
Lybrate is the ideal platform through which you can connect with the top dermatologists and seek their advice on how to get rid of acne. Through Lybrate you can consult the top doctor all across India. Find top dermatologists and general physicians in Faridabad, Ghaziabad, Gurgaon, Indore, Jaipur etc. Lybrate.com also offers online solutions to your medical problems. Subscribe to Lybrate.com so you can consult the doctor of your choice and get effective solutions on how to remove blackheads and pimples.