Dandruff is a common chronic scalp condition marked by flaking of the skin on your scalp. Although dandruff isn't contagious and is rarely serious, it can be embarrassing and sometimes difficult to treat. For most teens and adults, dandruff symptoms are easy to spot: white, oily looking flakes of dead skin that dot your hair and shoulders, and a possibly itchy, scaly scalp. The condition may worsen during the fall and winter when indoor heating can contribute to dry skin, and improve during the summer. A type of dandruff called cradle cap can affect babies. This disorder, which causes a scaly, crusty scalp, is most common in newborn, but it can occur anytime during infancy. Although it can be alarming for parents, cradle cap isn't dangerous and usually clears up on its own by the time a baby is 3 years old.
HOW IS DANDRUFF DIAGNOSED?
Diagnosis of dandruff is done by hand and one doesn’t have to really consult an expert. But in case the dandruff is chronic and leads to other forms of infection, your general physician might examine the scalp.
HOW IS DANDRUFF TREATED?
For mild dandruff, regular use of a mild anti-dandruff shampoo helps get rid of the problem. For mild to severe dandruff, daily usage of medicated shampoos may be prescribed. In case dandruff is very severe, steroid-based shampoos may be used. Stress also causes dandruff, so lifestyle changes to manage stress help control dandruff
DID YOU KNOW?
Many people believe that dandruff is caused by poor hygiene, but this is not true. Although infrequent shampooing can make dandruff more obvious, researchers are still studying the causes, which appear to be complex.
Dandruff is a dermatological condition of flaking scalp, irritated and tingling skin. It can be caused due to psoriasis, eczema, a general lack of hygiene and cleanliness, dryness of the skin, seborrheic dermatitis, and allergic reaction against hair care products or fungal infections.
How to remove dandruff is an oft-repeated question. While OTC products like ketoconazole, zinc pyrithione, selenium sulphide and salicylic acid may also be used, these products tend to cause temporary damage by making the hair dull and dry. Due to the absence of a permanent dandruff remedies, people search for dandruff treatment at home. There are many natural remedies for dandruff in products of everyday use, which are easily available in every household.
Given below is a list of useful home-remedies for dandruff:
• Massage your head with 10-12 teaspoons of olive oil and leave it overnight. Wash it off with a mild shampoo the next day. You may also consider mixing a few drops of olive oil with your regular shampoo.
• Lemon is very useful for dandruff treatment at home. Rub two teaspoons of lemon juice on your scalp and wash off with a mixture of a cup of water and one teaspoon of lemon juice. Doing this regularly will prevent dandruff build-up.
• Apple-cider vinegar is one of the best home-remedies for dandruff. Mix one-quarter apple-cider vinegar with one-quarter cup of water. Rub the mixture onto your scalp and lock the moisture in by wrapping a towel around our head for 15 minutes-1 hour. Wash off with a mild shampoo. The mild acid content alters the pH balance of the scalp thus cleaning the dandruff.
• Rub a handful of baking soda onto your scalp. Rinse thoroughly with water.
• Add a few-drops of tea-tree oil to your regular shampoo. It is a natural remedy for dandruff which also help keeps your hair moisturized and beautiful.
• Aspirin contains salicylic acid which is helpful to get rid of dandruff. Crush two aspirins and mix them with your everyday shampoo. Massage your scalp with this mixture for two-minutes. Rinse thoroughly with water. Repeat with a regular shampoo.
• Rinse your hair with mouthwash. Follow up with a conditioner. The anti-fungal content of the mouthwash removes dandruff.
• Soak neem-leaves in warm water overnight. The strained water should be used to rinse your head the next morning to remove dandruff. Conversely, you could make a pack of the neem leaves and apply it to your scalp for an hour.
• Rub aloe-vera gel onto your scalp to soothe the itch.
• Massage your scalp with a paste of fenugreek powder and water. It will get rid of dandruff besides nourishing your hair.
Here at Lybrate, we enable you to get in touch with the best dermatologists. Contact the top doctors online or book an appointment with them immediately. You can find the best dermatologists in Bhubaneswar, Chandigarh, Delhi, Faridabad, Ghaziabad etc. You can receive the opinion of medical practitioners on the best cures for dandruff. Subscribe to Lybrate.com for helpful tips on home-remedies for dandruff and how to remove dandruff.
You can consult doctors online for Dandruff from anywhere, anytime at Lybrate. View consultation fee, reviews and patient feedback before consulting. Find best doctors in AKS Colony, Ambala cantt, Ambala Highway, Baddi, Banur, Dariya and in any other locality in Chandigarh.