Bleeding during pregnancy (mild or spotting) is a common occurrence during the first trimester. Bleeding during the first trimester may be due to implantation, miscarriage, hormonal changes, sexual intercourse or ectopic pregnancy. When bleeding is heavy, or accompanied by other symptoms like cramping in the lower abdomen, these are signs of danger, and need to be treated as an emergency.
HOW IS BLEEDING DURING PREGNANCY DIAGNOSED?
A gynaecologists performs an ultrasound scan to determine the cause of bleeding during pregnancy
HOW IS BLEEDING DURING PREGNANCY TREATED?
Based on diagnosis the following treatments are used:
1. Medications in case the fetus is safe
2. Removal of the embryo in case of ectopic pregnancy to save the mother
3. Premature delivery in case of third trimester bleeding
4. Exercises are advised to keep a healthy regimen during pregnancy
DID YOU KNOW?
The first trimester bleeding occurs in up to 40 percent of all pregnant women.
The experience of pregnancy varies from one woman to the other. Pregnancy symptoms are also different in different woman. The question ‘am I pregnant?’ can be best answered by a pregnancy calculator. One of the early signs of pregnancy is spotting accompanied by cramping. Bleeding in pregnancy is a terrifying news for all mothers to be. However it has been observed that antenatal bleeding that is bleeding occurring 24 weeks before the birth of the baby, is very common and nothing dangerous. But since it concerns the life of two individuals, it is recommended to know the causes of bleeding and if it persists, to show the doctor.
As soon as you notice the pregnancy symptoms and are somewhat sure that you are pregnant, below given are few things you should know from the very beginning of your pregnancy week:
1) Bleeding in the first 12 weeks- Bleeding in the first 12 pregnancy weeks is also known as first trimester bleeding is very common and almost 20% women experience this. Probable causes of bleeding in the first 12 pregnancy weeks are:
2) Implantation bleeding- many women fail to understand the first signs of pregnant and maybe later come to realize with the help of a pregnancy calculator. You might experience very usual spotting after you conceive in the first six to 12 days. This is because the fertilized egg installs itself in the walls of the uterus. Most women ignore this as not a pregnancy symptom.
3) Miscarriage- one of the most common concern in the first few pregnancy weeks is miscarriage. Bleeding in trimester week is mostly associated with miscarriage. However it does not always mean that there would be a miscarriage, if a heartbeat is heard in ultrasound.
4) Ectopic pregnancy- bleeding in the first 12 pregnancy may also mean an ectopic pregnancy. In this case, the fertilised embryo lodges itself outside the uterus in the fallopian tube. If the embryo continues to grow from the first signs of pregnant, it might result in the fallopian tube to burst. This can be life threatening to both baby and mother.
5) Molar pregnancy- this is a very unusual condition in which irregular tissue starts growing in the uterus in place of the baby and it remains undetected in the pregnancy calculator. This might lead to cancer and spread to other parts of the body.
Other causes of antenatal bleeding are as follows:
Change in the cervix- additional blood flowing to the cervix during pregnancy or intercourse can cause bleeding.
Infection- any kind of infection in the cervix or vagina can cause pre natal bleeding.
1) Bleeding in later pregnancy- unusual bleeding at a later stage in pregnancy can be quite risky. Some of the possible causes of this type of bleeding are:
• Placenta Previa- this is a condition in which the placenta gets lowered and covers the birth canal opening. This is a very rare phenomenon occurring in only one out of 200 cases.
• Detachment of the placenta- in very rare cases, the placenta detaches from the uterus wall before or during giving birth accompanied with excessive bleeding. This kind of abruption can be life threatening to the mother and the baby.
Other additional causes of bleeding in late pregnancy are:
Any kind of injury to the vagina or cervix
Lybrate is the platform which helps you find obstetricians who can find solutions to the problems. You can consult doctors from all over India. Choose the doctor who you feel will give you the best solution to your problem in Ghaziabad, Gurgaon, Indore, Jaipur, Jalandhar.