Wrinkles are inevitable with advancing age and most individuals find them annoying. Luckily, there are many available medical options to reduce these pesky lines and look younger. Your dermatologist can help you with a variety of gentle options like:
- Retinoid creams: These creams are derivatives of Vitamin A and cause superficial peeling off the skin, reduce rough bumps and lighten superficial pigmentation. These are prescription medicines and have to be used carefully under proper medical supervision to avoid side effects like itching and burning reactions.
- Peels: This a procedure in which your physician applies a thin layer of medicine on top of the skin for a few minutes and then washes it off. Over the next few days, a very superficial layer of the topmost skin layer is then gradually shed off. The regenerating skin from below is fresher, smoother and younger.
- Lasers and other rejuvenating devices: Different kinds of lasers can be used to target different layers of the skin. Non-ablative lasers gently heat deeper parts of the skin to tighten collagen to give a smoothening effect. Ablative lasers are more aggressive and remove superficial layers of skin with great precision. Radio-frequency and ultrasound machines use other forms of energy to gently heat deeper parts of the skin to achieve a tightening and smoothening effect
- Botulinum toxin: This is injected into frown lines and crows lines to relax the muscles causing the wrinkles. The effect typically lasts for about 6 months.
- Fillers: These are substances which are injected into the deeper wrinkles to pump up the furrows. The commonest substance used is called hyaluronic acid and is the same substance that exists naturally below the skin.
And of course, daily precautions like using sunscreens, moisturizers, maintaining a healthy lifestyle and avoiding smoking goes a long way in preventing wrinkles.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!