It is a debate which has been going on for a while now. There are a few who will suggest to run on a treadmill as it is convenient. However, there are others also who strongly support outdoor jogging, because it increases the stamina and of course, provides some much-needed fresh air (as long as you are not in Delhi NCR).
There are pros and cons of both treadmill and jogging. Nevertheless, it cannot be denied that jogging outside has more pros than cons.
Let us compare which one is better: Jogging or Treadmill
- Interesting everyday: Nothing can beat the feeling of running outside on a gorgeous day with fresh air. Jogging outside can never be boring, unlike treadmill running. There are endless routines which can be taken and discover new places every day. Regular routine can dull the day. However, with jogging, taking different routines will keep the jogging experience interesting.
- Weather: A bad weather can make the jogging difficult or impossible. Heavy rains, inclement cold, or too much heat can be a bit demotivating for jogging. However, treadmill would be a good choice in such scenarios, as you won’t be impacted by any extreme weather conditions.
- Different Surfaces: There are different surfaces in jogging, which are not available in treadmill, as there is only one plain surface to walk or run on. While jogging outside, there are different levels for jogging and different textures to jog on. For example, running on the beach or sand helps in burning more calories as pushing forward on sand is harder than on a treadmill. Jogging on the road can be challenging, but improves balance and coordination. Henceforth, it strengthens the muscles and joints. On a treadmill, a person runs on the same flat platform for a long stretch which can be really boring and monotonous. Jogging outside is unpredictable and fun.
- Mental Health: On a morning jog, people can escape from their monotonous life and away from the gadgets. Breathing fresh air and feeling the breeze can help in improving not just physical health but mental health as well. There is a greater energy when people hit the run than on the treadmill. Treadmill limits the experience of running or jogging. And, even in the gym people sometimes actively use their smartphone, which does not bring any mental peace.
- Cost Effective: One of the major advantages of jogging is that it is cost effective. There is no need to spend big bucks on jogging. However, running on a treadmill is costlier; one needs to either buy a treadmill or a gym membership.
- Availability: It is quite common to make excuses for not going to the gym or hitting the treadmill. Jogging takes less time from the day and it is very convenient to fit into a daily life. Jogging can basically be done anytime anywhere.
- Body Function: Jogging requires full body movement and mental awareness. A daily jog from point A to B is satisfying. Jogging outside with different elements, like wind resistance or terrains, increases the effort, and helps to burn more calories. However, on treadmill, people sometimes run blindly without being aware and majorly stressing their legs.
After considering the pros and cons of both methods, it is quite clear that jogging is the way to go. Jogging helps bones get stronger, increases stamina, and prevents many diseases like arthritis. It helps to move the joints on a regular basis, maintains blood pressure, and expands the lungs, which ends up increasing lung capacity.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert
& get answers to your questions!