Many women experience stress incontinence during some time of their pregnancy or post pregnancy. The experience of incontinence varies from woman to woman and it is caused due to stretching of muscles and tissues that support the uterus, bladder and womb. It is also caused due to the weight of the growing baby in the womb as well as due to hormones. The tissues and muscles mainly represent the pelvic floor and on the birth of a baby, these pelvic floor muscles get stretched even more.
What you should know?
- Stress incontinence is not a problem post pregnancy and especially once the child is born. However, some women continue to have issues at times due to weakening of pelvic floor muscles.
- It is the weakening of the muscles that causes incontinence of a bladder which is overactive. Incontinence can also occur, if the fine nerves that surround the bladder are damaged at the time of delivery.
- Women having problems controlling their bladder are more likely to have stress incontinence during pregnancy.
Simple treatment options to treat stress incontinence
- There are some simple treatment options that can be followed to control urinary incontinence during pregnancy. The simplest option is definitely managing the fluid intake as well as scheduling visits to bathroom at regular intervals. In this way by setting a proper schedule, stress incontinence can be treated.
- There are medical devices also available that help to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles and that can be used, if incontinence is persistent. The medical device can be used to block the urethra. The other simple option that can be effectively used to control incontinence post pregnancy includes toning the affected tissues and muscles. The urethra can function in an improved manner and any incontinence can be minimized after child birth by performing the Kegel exercises regularly, which provide great benefit.
The foremost symptom of stress incontinence includes urine leakage and that happens at times when a woman is physically active, coughing, sneezing or while having intercourse. It is very important that a woman urinates when she feels the urge and does not hold it. In this way, the leakage of urine will be reduced. It is also essential that they avoid running around or jumping. It is advisable to quit smoking as it can reduce irritation of the bladder. Spicy food items, citrus fruits and carbonated drinks must be avoided as they can cause irritation to the bladder.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!