Slip disc is a condition of the spinal column which consists of a stack of vertebras from the cervical, thoracic and the lumbar spine.The bones of the spine are cushioned by discs that are present to absorb shocks. Trauma to the spine may cause the disc to bulge or be ruptured. This may lead to pain in the neck and the back.
Causes of slip disc
Slip disc is caused when the jelly like substance present in the discs bulges out. The damaged disc thus puts pressure on the adjacent nerve causing excruciating pain. The various causes of a slipped disc are:
1. Incorrect form during exercise: If you are into weight lifting, it is important that you use proper form during exercising. Moves like barbell squat and deadlifts can put pressure on the spine and lead to disc problems, if not done correctly. Make sure you work on your core strength and keep your lower back straight while exercising.
2. Smoking: Smoking causes the discs to lose their flexibility and thus, increases the risk of slipped disc.
3. Ageing: Ageing decreases the content of water in the spine, thus leading to inflexibility.
The symptoms of slip disc are:
1. Pain on one side of the body that tends to aggravate over time
2. Activities such as sitting and coughing may lead to pressure on the spine causing pain
1. If you are overweight, try to reduce weight and then focus on maintaining healthy weight levels
2. Maintain proper posture while sitting or standing
3. Exercise on a regular basis to build strength and keep your joints healthy
4. Don't remain in seated position for an extended period of time. Take small breaks in between to stretch
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!