Overactive Bladder - How To Tackle It?
Dr. Rahul Yadav
85% (10 ratings)
MBBS, MS - General Surgery, M.Ch - Urology
17 years experience
An overactive bladder is marked by problems with one’s bladder storage system that results in a sudden urge to urinate. Involuntary and leakage of urine is also a possibility in such a case.
The problem of an overactive bladder arises when the muscles of the bladder contract involuntarily. The conditions contributing to the overactive bladder are:
- Acute infections in the urinary tract
- Abnormalities in the bladder, for instance, bladder stones or tumors
- Factors hindering bladder outflow such as constipation, enlarged prostate or earlier treatments for incontinence (loss of bladder control)
- Excessive intake of alcohol or caffeine
- Decline in one’s cognitive abilities due to factors such as ageing, thus making it hard for the bladder to comprehend the signals it gets from the brain
- Incomplete emptying of the bladder, leaving only a little storage space for the urine
- Neurological disorders
- Excessive production of urine due to diabetes, poor kidney function or excessive fluid intake
- Medications that increase urine production by the bladder
How it can be treated?
- Behavioral interventions help to manage overactive bladder effectively and without side-effects. They include-
- Pelvic floor muscle training to inhibit such involuntary contractions
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Regulating fluid consumption
- Planning a schedule for trips to the toilet
- Employing a catheter to empty the bladder entirely
- Medications to alleviate the symptoms of incontinence and overactive bladder are -
- Injecting small doses of Botox (Botulinum toxin), directly into the bladder tissues to partially paralyze the bladder muscles, thus delaying urination.
- Surgery to magnify bladder capacity
- However, it is a must that you seek the guidance of a urologist on immediate basis.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert
& get answers to your questions!
found this helpful