What Is Rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty is colloquially known as a “nose job”. It is a cosmetic surgery conducted to reshape the nose. The corrective surgery is performed to make the nose smaller or larger, correct the bump, the angles in relation to the upper lip, indentations and other defects relating to the tip of the nose.
Rhinoplasty can be conducted using general or local anaesthesia. Rhinoplasty can correct the structure of the nose if it causes difficulty in breathing. Rhinoplasty can also improve the physical appearance after an injury or disease.
A Few Myths About Rhinoplasty
- Cosmetic rhinoplasty is meant for rich and vain people.
- Anaesthesia can be dangerous.
- Dissatisfaction with nose shape or size can be eradicated completely.
- Rhinoplasty needs to be performed more than once.
- Rhinoplasty creates a drastic and extremely noticeable transformation of the nose.
- Rhinoplasty is most definitely covered by insurance.
- Rhinoplasty can cause scars, stitches and bruises on the nose.
- Any plastic surgeon can perform rhinoplasty.
- Rhinoplasty is a simple surgery.
- Rhinoplasty is a very painful procedure.
A Few Facts About Rhinoplasty
- The demand for rhinoplasty is rising by leaps and bounds every day.
- Rhinoplasty is not just a cosmetic procedure to look good. It is known to correct some real nasal disorders. Swellings, breathing issues due to a deviated septum or other structural problems that cause pain and respiratory troubles can be fixed by rhinoplasty.
- There are different techniques used for men and women. The structure of a man’s nose differs slightly from a woman’s, in terms of angles and slopes. These are determined and corrected by expert and experienced plastic surgeons.
- The discomfort after the surgery is mild and moderate. Most patients recover in a couple of hours. In major surgery case, it takes a day.
- Rhinoplasty is fairly affordable.
- Insurance covers can be claimed when the surgery is not for cosmetic purpose, but for genuine corrective purpose.
- Rhinoplasty can help to make minor corrections as well, without causing drastic or obvious changes.
- Anaesthesia performed during the surgery rarely causes any long term complication. It is relatively safe. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a cosmetic-plastic-surgeon.