Menstruation is a physically painful affair for many women. Abdominal cramps accompanied by painful thighs and calves are commonly faced by many women just before the onset of their periods. In some cases, this situation can continue for the whole week, making it difficult to get any work done. This pain is also known as dysmenorrhea. Instead of popping a painkiller, here are a few homeopathic medications that can effectively cure this problem.
- Pulsatilla: Made from windflower, this is one of the oldest forms of homeopathic medication. Pulsatilla is suited to sensitive women and can be used to treat both irregular and painful menses. It also helps deal with over sensitivity and mood changes. Pulsatilla is most useful when taken between periods.
- Belladonna: Belladonna acts on the nervous system to treat sudden intense abdominal cramps and congested dysmenorrhea. If the blood in your periods is bright red and flows at a high rate, belladonna may be the solution to your problems. Other associated symptoms belladonna can help treat are red, flushed skin and temperature spikes.
- Magnesium Phosphoricum: Every woman has a different type of menstrual pain. If the pain you feel is soothed by heat packs and application of pressure but aggravated by any type of movement, you could try to treat it with Magnesium Phosphoricum. This is also effective for period pains that increase in the night and early menses.
- Nux Vomica: Nux Vomica is made from the seed of a plant. This is particularly effective in cases of menstruation accompanied by diarrhea. Nux Vomica also helps treat irregular and prolonged menses. It also helps deal with abdominal cramps and heartburn. Nux vomica should ideally be taken in low potency doses as it can have a number of side effects when taken regularly in high potency doses.
- Cimicifuga: Cimicifuga is very effective when it comes to treating painful muscular cramps. Women who need cimicifuga will find that as the flow increases, so do the cramps. These women also suffer from headaches, severe abdominal pain and shooting pains in the thighs. Along with pain, it also helps treat nervousness that may be a result of the menstrual discomfort.
- Chamomilla: Every woman deals with her pain in a different way. For some women, passive movement like driving a car can help alleviate pain. In such cases, the use of chamomilla can be very beneficial. It also helps with clotted bleeding and bleeding between periods.
Mostly, menstrual pain during menses is due to hormonal irregularities and cysts of ovaries or uterus. So, in case of complaints, we need to access these also while selecting remedies. Constitutionally and symptomatically selected medicine in Homeopathy will help the patients get relief. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Homeopath.