A depressive disorder is not just a passing phase of the mind; it is a condition which involves your body, mind, and thoughts. It comes in the way of your daily life, thereby preventing you from carrying out your regular routine, even making it harder for you to concentrate or work properly. The exact causes are still not known, but as certain studies suggest, it might be hereditary, due to changes in the neuroendocrine functions, or due to other psychological and social factors.
Some of the depressive disorders are:
- Major depressive disorder
- Persistent depressive disorder
- Other specified or unspecified depressive disorders
Others are classified by their causes:
- Premenstrual Dysphoric disorder
- Another medical condition induced depressive disorder
- Substance/Medication-induced depressive disorder
Depressive disorders can set in at any point in time, but primarily, symptoms are visible in your late teens, 20's or your 30's.
For major depression the symptoms are:
1.Feelings of depression throughout the day
2.Significantly diminished interest in all your activities. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Psychiatrist.