Pregnancy is one such phase in every couples' life that the partners have to face a lot of changes, both, physically, emotionally and mentally. Whether sex is safe or not during pregnancy is one of the many doubts that couples have.
It is especially the expectant mothers who feel worried the most whenever it comes to enjoying passion and intimacy with their partners. However, studies have shown that sex during pregnancy is completely safe and many couples enjoy a healthy sexual relationship till the delivery date comes, only if you follow a few precautions which are discussed below.
- Always use protection: Even during pregnancy, sexually transmitted disease or STDs can be transmitted to your baby in the womb. Hence, it’s of crucial importance to practice safe sex only. Make sure to use condoms or vaginal protection every time you and your partner engage in sexual activities. During pregnancy, having sex with partners with sex history unknown to you must be avoided as it may increase the risk of you and your baby to become infected with STDs.
- Be careful while having oral sex: It's better to avoid oral sex when you are in your advanced stages of pregnancy. However, if it's oral sex that your mind and body craves for during pregnancy, make sure that your partner never blows air into the vagina as it may lead to air embolism where the air bubble creates a blockage in the blood vessel.
- Don’t try strenuous positions: During pregnancy, due to the anatomical changes in your body, you may become uncomfortable to certain sex positions which you once enjoyed the most. In this case, what you need is to opt for alternate and safe sex positions. For example, instead of you as an expectant mother lying at the bottom of your partner, try having sex side by side or you on the top etc.
- It’s better to avoid anal sex: Anal sex during pregnancy often leads to bleeding, infection in the anal area and even increased risks of STDs. It can also cause damage to the placenta. Therefore, it's best to avoid anal sex positions and learn to say no to the sex positions you are not feeling comfortable with.
- Pay attention to sexual comfort: During pregnancy, it’s very natural for expectant mothers’ breasts to become sensitive to touch or the vaginal tissues to become sensitive and engorged as well. Therefore, while having sex with your partner make sure to opt for lubricant based condoms and water-soluble lubricants for the nipples to give them a soothing feeling.
Therefore, it can be said that if you keep the above-mentioned precautions in mind, enjoying a healthy sex life when you are expecting won't be difficult at all. However, it's always better to consult with a sexologist to have detailed knowledge about the sex positions you should try and those should be avoided for having a satisfying yet healthy sex experience.