Dandruff is a common chronic scalp condition marked by flaking of the skin on your scalp. Although dandruff isn't contagious and is rarely serious, it can be embarrassing and sometimes difficult to treat. For most teens and adults, dandruff symptoms are easy to spot: white, oily looking flakes of dead skin that dot your hair and shoulders, and a possibly itchy, scaly scalp. The condition may worsen during the fall and winter when indoor heating can contribute to dry skin, and improve during the summer. A type of dandruff called cradle cap can affect babies. This disorder, which causes a scaly, crusty scalp, is most common in newborn, but it can occur anytime during infancy. Although it can be alarming for parents, cradle cap isn't dangerous and usually clears up on its own by the time a baby is 3 years old.
HOW IS DANDRUFF DIAGNOSED?
It is usually diagnosed by a dermatologist by physical examination of the scalp
HOW IS DANDRUFF TREATED?
Dandruff can almost always be controlled, but dandruff treatment may take patience and persistence. In general, daily cleansing with a gentle shampoo to reduce oiliness and skin cell build-up can often help mild dandruff. When regular shampoos fail, dandruff shampoos you can buy at a drugstore may succeed. But dandruff shampoos aren't all alike, and you may need to experiment until you find one that works for you. If you develop itching, stinging, redness or burning from any product, stop using it. If you develop an allergic reaction, such as a rash, hives or difficulty breathing, seek immediate medical attention. There are a lot of ayurvedic and homeopathic medications, therapies and healing solutions for dandruff
DID YOU KNOW?
A type of dandruff called cradle cap affects infants, resulting in a scaly ad crusty scalp
Dandruff is characterized by flaking and itchiness of the scalp. It is a condition that is exacerbated during winters but can also occur in other seasons and affects people of all races, ethnicities and genders. Sometimes, dandruff causes redness of the skin and constant tingling. It is caused due to dryness of the skin, lack of cleanliness, over-use of shampoo, seborrheic dermatitis or because of medical conditions like eczema or psoriasis. In certain cases, dandruff is also caused due to an allergic reaction against hair care products or as a result of fungal infection.
As dandruff is a persistent problem, you may often wonder how to get rid of dandruff. Home-remedies for dandruff are however extremely helpful to remove dandruff. Unlike OTC products like salicylic acid, coal tar, ketoconazole, zinc pyrithione and selenium sulphide which tend to cause hair dryness, the home-remedies for dandruff are even good for your hair health. Listed below are the best dandruff home remedies:
• Crushing two aspirins and adding them to your normal shampoo for a two-minute scalp massage prevents dandruff growth due to the salicylic acid content in aspirin. Remember to rinse your hair and re-wash with regular shampoo.
• Adding a few drops of tea-tree oil to your shampoo will work wonders by removing the dandruff and moisturizing the hair.
• Massaging your scalp with a small quantity of baking soda before rinsing vigorously serves a natural remedy for dandruff. Baking soda inhibits fungal growth thus removing dandruff.
• The anti-fungal properties of your regular mouthwash will help treat dandruff at home. Use it to rinse your hair after shampoo to get rid of dandruff. Do use your conditioner after this.
• A mixture of one-quarter apple-cider vinegar with one-quarter water when applied to the scalp will help to remove dandruff. The acidic property of the vinegar changes the pH of the scalp which helps gets rid of dandruff. You will have to seal the moisture into your scalp by wrapping your head in a towel for the duration of 15 minutes – 1 hour.
• Aloe-vera gel has soothing qualities which helps to control the itching. Massage it onto your scalp before shampooing.
• The anti-fungal properties of neem make it one of the most effective home-remedies for dandruff. Soak a few leaves in warm water overnight. Strain the water in the morning and use it to rinse your hair. You may also make a hair pack of the leaves: leave it on for an hour and rinse with a mild shampoo.
• Lemon juice helps to get rid of dandruff naturally. Rub two tablespoons of lemon juice onto your scalp. Rinse your hair with a solution of 1 teaspoon lemon juice and a cup of water. Doing this daily will help remove dandruff.
• Another home-made remedy for dandruff is a pack made of crushed garlic and honey.
• Adding olive-oil to your shampoo or massaging 10-12 tablespoons of olive oil into your scalp and leaving it overnight before shampooing is a popular home-remedy for dandruff.
• A paste of fenugreek powder with water also helps to cure dandruff naturally.
Lybrate offers you instant solutions for your medical queries. At Lybrate, you gain instant access to the top dermatologists. We enable you to get in touch with the best doctors with great ease. You may either consult them directly online or book appointments online. Find the best dermatologists in Jalandhar, Lucknow, Ludhiana, Mohali, Nagpur etc. Subscribe to Lybrate.com for more tips on how to remove dandruff. Get recommendations from doctors on natural-remedies for dandruff.
Consult top doctors for Dandruff online with ease at Lybrate.com. You can call doctor online and view their reviews. Book appointments online as well. Lybrate is best source of top doctors in Chillhar Road, Bhayandar, Kanakia, Bhayandar, Mandali Talav, Bhayandar, Navghar Road, Bhayandar, Sector 9, Bhayandar, Shanti Park, Bhayandar and in any other locality in Mumbai for Dandruff.
Above are listed top doctors for Dandruff in Sewri , Mumbai. Post a free question today regarding Dandruff and get answers from top doctors in no time.