Sorry, your search did not match any doctors. Here are some other doctors that we have hand
picked for you!
Show Doctors near me
That's all we have from Meerut. Here are some top doctors from nearby cities
Polio is also referred to as Poliomyelitis and infantile paralysis, which is an acute and a very serious disease that can be infectious. Here the virus enters your CNS and is accompanied with very high fever and pain in the muscles. Some patients may also have upper respiratory issues along with infections in their upper tracts.
HOW IS POLIO DIAGNOSED?
Doctors will go by the physical examination of the Polio patient, in particular, the lack of reflexes and stiffness in the joints and so on. For a more thorough diagnosis, the General Physician or the Paediatric will send the patient’s throat secretions for testing for the poliovirus.
HOW IS POLIO TREATED?
There is no cure for polio. Doctors can only treat the symptoms while the infection runs its course. The most common treatments include:
• painkillers to relieve headaches, muscle aches, and muscle spasms
• antibiotics for urinary tract infections
• portable ventilators to help with breathing
• physical therapy and/or corrective braces to help with walking
• heating pads or warm towels to ease muscle aches and spasms
• physical therapy to treat pain in the affected muscles
• physical therapy to address breathing and pulmonary problems and then pulmonary rehabilitation to increase the patient’s pulmonary endurance as the acute breathing problems improve
In advanced cases of leg weakness, when a patient has difficulty walking he or she may need a wheelchair or other mobility device
DID YOU KNOW?
Polio virus affects the limb and the damage is irreversible and for life.