Dandruff is a common scalp condition which is characterized by dry, flaky skin on the scalp. It is a fairly common skin condition that is not contagious. It is fairly easy to control dandruff, unless it has another underlying cause. In some cases redness or swelling may accompany sever dandruff. Symptoms are:
• Dryness of scalp
• Oily looking flakes of dead skin on scalp
• Itchy and scaly scalp
HOW IS DANDRUFF DIAGNOSED?
Dermatologists can diagnose dandruff based on the symptoms and appearance of the scalp. The doctor may also evaluate your medical history and personal hygiene habits to determine the cause of dandruff.
HOW IS DANDRUFF TREATED?
Dandruff treatment is possible at home, through ayurveda or even homeopathy. Usually doctors offer a special shampoo that is made to treat and combat dandruff and prevent it from recurring. Diet changes are advised along with drinking lots of water to combat dryness.
DID YOU KNOW?
Dandruff is one of the most common causes of hair fall in both men and women.
Dandruff is characterized by flaking and itchiness of the scalp. It is a condition that is exacerbated during winters but can also occur in other seasons and affects people of all races, ethnicities and genders. Sometimes, dandruff causes redness of the skin and constant tingling. It is caused due to dryness of the skin, lack of cleanliness, over-use of shampoo, seborrheic dermatitis or because of medical conditions like eczema or psoriasis. In certain cases, dandruff is also caused due to an allergic reaction against hair care products or as a result of fungal infection.
As dandruff is a persistent problem, you may often wonder how to get rid of dandruff. Home-remedies for dandruff are however extremely helpful to remove dandruff. Unlike OTC products like salicylic acid, coal tar, ketoconazole, zinc pyrithione and selenium sulphide which tend to cause hair dryness, the home-remedies for dandruff are even good for your hair health. Listed below are the best dandruff home remedies:
• Crushing two aspirins and adding them to your normal shampoo for a two-minute scalp massage prevents dandruff growth due to the salicylic acid content in aspirin. Remember to rinse your hair and re-wash with regular shampoo.
• Adding a few drops of tea-tree oil to your shampoo will work wonders by removing the dandruff and moisturizing the hair.
• Massaging your scalp with a small quantity of baking soda before rinsing vigorously serves a natural remedy for dandruff. Baking soda inhibits fungal growth thus removing dandruff.
• The anti-fungal properties of your regular mouthwash will help treat dandruff at home. Use it to rinse your hair after shampoo to get rid of dandruff. Do use your conditioner after this.
• A mixture of one-quarter apple-cider vinegar with one-quarter water when applied to the scalp will help to remove dandruff. The acidic property of the vinegar changes the pH of the scalp which helps gets rid of dandruff. You will have to seal the moisture into your scalp by wrapping your head in a towel for the duration of 15 minutes – 1 hour.
• Aloe-vera gel has soothing qualities which helps to control the itching. Massage it onto your scalp before shampooing.
• The anti-fungal properties of neem make it one of the most effective home-remedies for dandruff. Soak a few leaves in warm water overnight. Strain the water in the morning and use it to rinse your hair. You may also make a hair pack of the leaves: leave it on for an hour and rinse with a mild shampoo.
• Lemon juice helps to get rid of dandruff naturally. Rub two tablespoons of lemon juice onto your scalp. Rinse your hair with a solution of 1 teaspoon lemon juice and a cup of water. Doing this daily will help remove dandruff.
• Another home-made remedy for dandruff is a pack made of crushed garlic and honey.
• Adding olive-oil to your shampoo or massaging 10-12 tablespoons of olive oil into your scalp and leaving it overnight before shampooing is a popular home-remedy for dandruff.
• A paste of fenugreek powder with water also helps to cure dandruff naturally.
Lybrate offers you instant solutions for your medical queries. At Lybrate, you gain instant access to the top dermatologists. We enable you to get in touch with the best doctors with great ease. You may either consult them directly online or book appointments online. Find the best dermatologists in Thoothukudi, Vadodara, Visakhapatnam, Bangalore, Pune etc. Subscribe to Lybrate.com for more tips on how to remove dandruff. Get recommendations from doctors on natural-remedies for dandruff.
Consult top doctors for Dandruff online with ease at Lybrate.com. You can call doctor online and view their reviews. Book appointments online as well. Lybrate is best source of top doctors in Abhay Khand, Ahinsa Khand I, Ahinsa Khand II, Ambedkar Road, Ankur Vihar, Ansals Chiranjiv Vihar and in any other locality in Ghaziabad for Dandruff.