Headaches can be more complicated and different kinds of headaches can have their own set of symptoms, happen for unique reasons and need different kinds of treatment.The pain in the head is coupled with sensitivity to light, noise or smells, nausea or vomiting.
HOW IS HEADACHES DIAGNOSED?
A general physician would carry out a complete physical and neurological examination of the patient to look for any signs of illness that could be causing the headaches. A complete history of the problem would be noted in order to treat it correctly. CT scans, MRI scans and eye exams could be recommended.
HOW IS HEADACHES TREATED?
Headaches can usually be treated with pain relievers. Patients with migraine headaches might also be prescribed anti-nausea medications. Inhalation or clearing of the sinus could provide relief from sinus headaches.
DID YOU KNOW?
Headaches could also happen because of stress and anxiety.
Pain or some sort of discomfort in the head, scalp or neck may be described as a headache. Headaches are very common among individuals and generally do not point towards any serious problems, until they persist for a long period of time. Headaches can be characterized into different types, they are-
• Tension headaches- in case of tension headaches, the pain is primarily in the temple and behind the neck. These aches are not very severe compared to migraines and can be easily treated with over the counter medication.
• Cluster headaches- More men are affected by this type of headache, as compared to women. Headaches that recur in groups are known as cluster headaches. They may occur suddenly, and cause pain on only one side of the head, along with watery eyes and nasal congestion. These headaches can lead to quite a bit of restlessness and discomfort.
• Sinus headaches- An infection can lead to a swollen sinus, which may cause pain and discomfort. A sinus headache is generally accompanied with a fever. This type of a headache is cured with the help of antibiotics.
• Rebound headaches- rebound headaches are a result of the consumption of too many medicines to cure headaches.
• Migraine headache- Headaches as a result of migraine are very common in these days, affecting both men and women. Symptoms of migraine include- headaches that last for about 4-72 hours, pain on one side of the head, a constant throbbing pain, pain that tends to hinder daily activities and cause nausea and vomiting.
Certain home remedies for headache include-
• Ginger- swelling in the blood vessels of the head is effectively reduced with the help of ginger. Ginger juice should be mixed with lemon juice and consumed at least once daily.
• Mint juice- mint contains menthol and menthone, which help in dealing with headaches. The application of mint juice on the head, extracted from mint leaves greatly help in relieving headaches.
• Peppermint oil- one of the main components of peppermint, is menthol which effectively opens up clogged blood vessels, which result in a headache. Peppermint oil also has a calming effect on the body and will help relax, especially in the case of cluster headaches.
Some headaches also occur because of sciatica, that is, lower back pain. Although pain in the lower back does not have any direct link with headaches, it may occur purely because of the mind body connection. In case of some individuals with chronic sciatica, they suffer from mind body pain syndromes, which can lead to headaches too.
Lybrate is the ideal platform through which you can connect with the top headache specialists and chiropractors to seek their advice on different type of headaches including migraine headaches. Through Lybrate you can consult the top doctors all across India. Find leading headache specialists, chiropractors and general physicians in Vadodara, Visakhapatnam, Bangalore, Pune, Hyderabad etc. Lybrate.com also offers online solutions to your medical problems. Subscribe to Lybrate.com so you can consult the doctor of your choice and get effective solutions on headaches and sciatica.