Ear Pain or earache is the most common problem in children. It may be a constant pain or pain that remains for a short duration. It can affect one ear or two ears. Common causes of ear pain are cold, fluid in the ear, ear blocks, injury in the ear or a boil in the ear. Symptoms are:
• Irritability in infants
• Poor feeding in infants
• Restlessness or sleeplessness at night
• Hearing problems
• Balance problems
• Coughing or runny nose
HOW IS EAR PAIN DIAGNOSED?
The diagnosis of the condition will be done by the general physician or the ENT specialist who will conduct a detailed ear examination in order to find the cause of the pain. The doctor may also conduct lab tests to rule out the possibility of other ailments.
HOW IS EAR PAIN TREATED?
An ear infection is usually treatable and may not cause permanent damage to the ear. Treatment may include medications for pain and fever, antibiotics for bacterial ear infections, and/or observation of symptoms.
DID YOU KNOW?
If left untreated ear infection could lead to a loss in hearing, facial paralysis and speech development problems in children.
Ear pain or earache is primarily of two kinds: primary and referred. The reasons for primary ear pain lie inside the ear, in the external, middle of inner sections of the ear. Referred ear pain is a result of a development in some other part of the body which is connected to the ear through neural pathways.
Ear pain causes include the following:
• Earwax blockage: It takes place because of the accumulation of excess earwax in the ear canal. Causing a feeling of fullness, ache, ringing or buzzing sounds in one ear earwax can usually be cleaned at home though medical help may sometimes be required.
• Otitis externa: Commonly known as “swimmer’s ear”, otitis externa is an ear infection that affects the tube connecting the ear opening to the ear drum. It may be a result of continuous exposure to moisture or a rupture of the thin layer of skin that lines the outer ear because of excessive headphone or cotton swab use. Swimmer’s ear is one of the main causes for ear pain in kids.
• Foreign bodies: Pain in ear is also caused when foreign objects like pencils, erasers, crayola, toys or even food are lodged in the ear, nose, eyes or throat either accidentally or deliberately. The blockage may result in choking, pain and breathing problems and can often develop ear infections if not removed immediately.
• Otitis media: It is a type of ear infection which occurs when viral or bacterial infection causes inflammation of the middle ear, mostly in winter and spring seasons. This is one of the major causes of ear pain in kids and may be accompanied by fever and temporary loss of hearing.
• Mastoiditis: This is a serious condition that develops from an untreated middle-ear infection which causes the mastoid bone to disintegrate. Its symptoms, like those of ear infection, include pain in ear, fever, headache, hearing loss and inflammation of the ear.
• Chronic Ear Infection: Affecting the middle ear and the area behind the eardrum, chronic ear infection refers to an infection that does not heal. Ear infection symptoms include a feeling of pressure in the ear, mild ear pain, drainage of fluid from the ear, fever and hearing trouble. If left untreated, chronic ear infection can cause a rupture in the eardrum.
• Eardrum rupture: It is a small tear or hole in the eardrum or the tympanic membrane dividing the middle ear from the outer ear because of ear infection, injury and/or pressure changes. It causes pain, temporary or permanent hearing loss, tinnitus and/or dizziness.
In addition, sinusitis and tonsillitis inflammations also cause ear pain in kids and adults.
Ear pain treatment involves proper diagnosis of the cause of ear pain through procedures like physical examination, x-ray, diagnostic tests like CT scan, MRI or sample testing among others. In most cases, doctors prescribe antibiotics and rest as a cure for ear pain. In more severe cases however, surgery may have to be performed.
Lybrate is a unique website where you can talk directly to the best ENT specialists and general physicians in the city to resolve your questions on ear infection and ear pain treatment. You can also book an appointment online for free in a simple hassle free step. Search for the top ENT specialists and general physicians in Patna, Rajkot, Surat, Thane, Thoothukudi, etc. For more information on ear pain in kids, ear diseases, ear pain causes and treatment, subscribe to Lybrate.com.