The anterior cruciate ligament (acl) is a rope like connective tissue that gives support and stability to the knee, along with other related tissues. If you do not repair it, you can still perform many functions, and carry on with your life with little difficulty. However, a surgery to correct the ligament tear is recommended if you do not want the injury to impede your sporting activities and want a 100% normal knee.
The acl reconstruction surgery can be performed in two ways, the arthroscopic method with incisions in the front and the new one which is more cosmetic and has lesser complications. Both of which you will find detailed below.
The latter is a wiser and more popular decision, and you will require a suitable surgeon well versed in the newer technique to perform the operation.
How is the surgery done?
Acl reconstruction surgery involves the following steps-
- The surgeon, after examination, makes sure whether you actually need to be operated on if you have approached in the early stages, a repair may be possible. This avoids the need for reconstructing a new ligament altogether.
- For an acl reconstruction the tissue, which will be inserted afresh in your body is extracted and prepared, either from your own body or from a donor’s body.
- A camera is affixed onto the surgical instrument, which makes your knee interiors visible to the surgeon during the operation.
- Anaesthesia is administered to you, and new tissue is inserted in place by passing it through a tunnel in your bone in a pioneering new technique, the tissue is derived from the back of your knee instead of the fron. This leaves minimal scars in your physical appearance on the front of your knee. This procedure is also not very invasive.
Surgeons are increasingly favouring acl reconstruction nowadays. The reasons for that are-
- It helps patients who cannot do without their acls, like those engaged in competitive sports like football or mountain climbing.
- It can help repair the chronic weakness of the knee and help people who have locomotive difficulties.
- One can repair several ligaments including your acl if they are damaged at once, following an accident or fall.
- To minimise tissue damage from surgery, the minimally invasive arthroscopic method is the way to go acl surgery including repairs are gaining in popularity, and those mentioned above are some of the reasons. The doctor will recommend this in case you have an injury like a vehicle crash, sports accident, or related trauma to the knee and surrounding regions.
Make sure you know your requirements and seek out a physician accordingly!
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert
& get answers to your questions!