During menopause, estrogen production slows and then stops. There are a number of changes, which occur in your body during this time. Periods become irregular and then stop. You may have hot flashes, mood swings, a deeper voice and an increase in facial hair. Vaginal dryness is another common symptom of menopause. It becomes even more common after menopause. Vaginal dryness also can occur at any age from a number of different causes. It may seem like just a minor irritation; however, it can be a major problem when it comes to your sex life. Here is everything you need to know about vaginal dryness:
What causes vaginal dryness in women
Even though menopause is the most common cause of vaginal dryness, it can happen at any age and there are various causes of vaginal dryness as well. Here they are;
- Childbirth and Breastfeeding: Childbirth as well as breastfeeding result in lower levels of estrogen and this can lead to vaginal dryness.
- Sjogrens Syndrome: This is an autoimmune disorder in which your immune system attacks the moisture producing cells in your body.
- Douching: Douching is a common practice done by women wherein, they wash their vagina using water and vinegar, knowing little that it can actually cause dryness.
As mentioned earlier, vaginal dryness is caused by a lack of estrogen. Here are some of the ways that estrogen is supplied to your body;
- Vaginal Estrogen Ring: This is a ring inserted into your vagina, which releases a steady stream of estrogen into your vaginal tissues. It needs a replacement, generally after three months.
- Vaginal Estrogen Cream: This also needs to be inserted through an applicator. It will be applied daily for the first two weeks after which, it will be applied one to three times a week.
- ThermiVa: THERMIva is a non-surgical radiofrequency treatment that can improve collagen under the surface and ultimately improves blood supply as well. It works well in treating vaginal dryness by improving lubrication.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert
& get answers to your questions!