Rosacea, a common skin condition, occurs due to a combination of environmental and genetic factors. This condition causes your skin to become red, and produces red, pus-filled small bumps on the skin.
Rosacea can occur in 4 forms-
- Erythematotelangiectatic Rosacea- related to facial redness, visible blood vessels and flushing
- Papulopustular Rosacea- related to acne-like breakouts
- Rhinophyma- leads to thickening of the skin on the nose
- Ocular Rosacea- affects the area surrounding your eyes
Rosacea is most commonly observed in middle-aged women with fair complexion between the ages of 30-50.
What causes Rosacea?
Rosacea is often mistaken for pimple or acne, but it is more than just that. The following factors are held responsible for causing this skin condition.
- Consumption of alcohol, aerated beverages
- Eating spicy food
- Presence of an intestinal bacteria known as Helicobacter pylori
- Over exposure to sunlight
Signs that indicate you may have rosacea-
- Visible, broken blood vessels
- Swollen skin
- Sensitivity on the skin
- Burning, stinging sensation on the skin
- Rough, dry, scaly skin
- Raised patches/bumps on the skin
- Thickening of skin on the nose, chin, cheeks and forehead
- Itchy, dry eyes
- Blurred vision
- Watery, bloodshot eyes
How does Ayurveda help treat rosacea?
Although there is no definitive treatment for rosacea, the symptoms of each type of rosacea can be treated with Ayurvedic herbs and medicines.
- Turmeric- Packed with anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric powder helps cure various skin disorders. You can consume a teaspoon of turmeric powder daily to avoid skin inflammation, or you can have it mixed with your food or juice.
- Beets and carrots- Beets and carrots contain iron, which is essential for smooth functioning of your skin. The deficiency of iron can cause your skin to become sallow and dry.
- Ashwagandha- One of the most essential, powerful herbs packed with anti-inflammatory properties, Ashwagandha helps remove rosacea puss. In order to fetch best results, try applying or drinking extracts of this wonder herb every alternate day.
- Fenugreek- Rich in essential vitamins like C and K, folic acid and iron, this medicinal plant helps remove dry red patches from the skin. Also, it prevents formation of rosacea puss and helps reduce itching.
Ayurvedic treatment is absolutely safe and free from side effects. These are the most preferred and effective ways to reduce symptoms and severity of rosacea. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!