A Q-switched laser is a non-invasive laser, which emits high-intensity pulsed beam light, and is used as a treatment for dermatological conditions. The laser beams are powerful enough to shatter small fragments of ink or pigmentation and stimulate the production of collagen.
Q-switched lasers, with advanced technology, can be used to rectify the following conditions –
Each type of dermatological condition is treated with a different type of Q-switched lasers.
Types of Q-switched lasers:
The most commonly used Q-switched lasers are –
• Q-switched Nd – YAG laser is used in laser toning, freckles, pigmentation, etc.
• Alexandrite Laser – Used for hair removal
How does laser treatment work?
The laser energy pulse releases the pigment into the skin so your body can reabsorb and discard it naturally. The laser energy may feel like several tiny hot dots tingling on the skin. However, the discomfort is reduced when a stream of cold air is directed at these spots immediately after the procedure.
If you are opting for Q-switched laser treatment for tattoo removal, you will likely be given anaesthetics on the particular area because the procedure is rather painful.
Benefits of Q-switched Laser Treatment:
The benefits of modern Q-switched laser treatment are umpteen. Here are a few ways the procedure will prove advantageous to you –
• Helps tighten loose, sagging skin
• Improves facial appearance by removing wrinkles and fine lines
• Gives your self-esteem a boost as stretch marks and birthmarks are eliminated
• Helps you get rid of skin conditions and improves skin tone
• A trusted treatment approach for tattoo and hair removal
• The results are long-lasting, usually three years
• Does not involve severe complications or side effects
• A single machine used to treat a range of skin conditions
• Non-invasive, painless procedure
• Can be used in combination with other cosmetic procedures
What to Expect after the Treatment?
Following the treatment, you can expect a few cuts and bruises on the area that has been treated. To speed up healing, your doctor or dermatologist may recommend petroleum jelly or plain Vaseline that you will need to apply on the treated area and cover it with bandages for a couple of days. Full recovery takes about a few days to 2 weeks, depending on the area being treated.
Q-switch laser treatment is a breakthrough procedure in the field of dermatology. If you are considering going for the treatment, talk to your doctor and discuss the details of the procedure beforehand.