Last Updated: Jan 10, 2023
Do you know you can suffer from a torn bicep accidentally? A bicep is a muscle that begins from your upper arm and is attached to the shoulder via bones and to the elbows by tendons. If you do the heavy lifting in the gym or somehow put excessive pressure on that area, chances are you may suffer from torn biceps.
Types of Bicep Tendon Tears
- Complete Tears where the tendons are split into two parts resulting in tremendous pain.
- Partial Tears result when the biceps are hurt but the tendon is not completely severed.
Among the various types of torn biceps, the muscle that is attached to the shoulder experiences the maximum number of bicep ruptures. Suddenly, the bicep tendons get detached from the bone resulting in pain and numbness. You will find a number of sportspersons suffering from this kind of torn biceps.
Causes of Torn Biceps Tendon
One of the reasons why you suffer torn biceps is a prolonged period of ignorance. If you have been putting continuous pressure on your shoulder, the biceps muscle can weaken over time. Overuse of the muscles can give rise to conditions of tendinitis (inflammation of the bone to muscle connecting tissue) and injuries in rotator cuff which, in future, might result in torn biceps.
- A sudden injury like falling over your arms or hurting your shoulder can result in torn biceps.
- Aging is another reason why you can have this complication. Added to this are unusually heavy tasks and overuse of shoulder which can result in this problem.
- Some steroids such as Corticosteroids are directly related to the weakening of muscles and tendons.
Symptoms of Torn Biceps
- The weakening of the elbow and the shoulder. You will find it troublesome to move your hand.
- Swelling of the elbow with bruises visible on the elbow and the forearm.
- You find trouble in twisting your forearm.
- You will experience spasms in the muscles.
- You can also hear a snapping sound of the muscles.
Torn Biceps Tendon Treatment
- Continuous applications of ice packs are a must. Repeat the activity 4 times a day with a duration of 20 minutes. You may need to do it for 2 or 3 days.
- Avoid activities that put pressure on your hands and shoulders.
- Consult a doctor immediately and get some painkillers as recommended.
- If you have complete tears, you may need to undergo surgery. Talk to your doctor regarding that. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult an best Orthopedic Doctor in Pune City
Update From Lybrate: Pain is an uncomfortable feeling in the body that is triggered by the nervous system. Buy Pain Relief Products at Lybrate’s Goodkart at a best-assured price.