Sleep problems, which can be defined as a sleeping pattern where the parents are unsatisfied, are one of the leading concerns of parents. Children should get a minimum nine hours of sleep so that their health and brain development can occur. Sleep problems can affect not only their health, but also their social and school life. Any interruption or abnormality in a child's sleeping patterns should be examined by a doctor and parents should make necessary efforts for knowing the actual causes of sleep interruption of their kids.
What are the causes of sleep disorders in children?
- Injuries and accidents
- Behavioural troubles
- Slow-reaction times
- Performance problems
- Mood problems
- Learning, concentration and memory troubles
Common signs of sleep troubles in kids:
- Difficulty in falling asleep
- Occurrence of unusual events at the time of sleeping like nightmares or sleep-walking
- Snoring and breathing pauses
- Difficulty in staying awake in daylight
- Daytime performances can be adversely affected
Best methods for dealing with sleep disorders in children:
- Regular bed-timing should be sincerely maintained at night.
- Relaxing routine for bedtime needs to be followed,including story-book reading, getting warm bath and others.
- Noise in the house, especially at night, should be minimized so that unwanted disturbances can be eliminated.
- If the room temperature is pretty comfortable, then your kids can sleep peacefully.
- Giving caffeine in excess quantity, especially before sleeping, should be reduced otherwise the kids will not sleep well.
- Meals should not be provided just before bedtime; rather they should be taken a few hours before sleeping.
- If your kids are so very addicted to different electronic gadgets or devices like telephones, televisions, computers and others, then they might face sleeping troubles. Thus, it is your duty to keep your kids away from this kind of addiction.
- If your kids are too very tired, then do not keep them awake forcibly; rather you should make them sleep immediately so that they can get a relaxed sleep at night.
If you think that sleep disorder has become a serious issue with your kids as well, then nothing can be a better option than consulting any health physician. They can best analyse the underlying cause of this issue with your kids.