Lovemaking during pregnancy is less talked about because it is customary to distance pregnant ladies from intimacy. Many women even find it very uncomfortable to have sex during the pregnancy period as their body gets bigger. Various questions in women mind such as till which month sex is safe in pregnancy or is there any consequences of not having sex during pregnancy.
However, there are other ways you and your partner can opt for to satisfy your needs like caressing, holding each other, and kissing. There are some partners who feel sex during pregnancy is the best moment for sex, while there are others who are feared and have their own concerns. Check out the effects of sex during pregnancy period.
When to Stop Sex During Pregnancy
- Sex during pregnancy should be avoided. If at all done should be gentle, it should avoid pressing the abdomen. However, it is safe in the second trimester if the woman is comfortable.
- Yes, it is alright for partners to have sex from the second trimester onwards if the woman has had a healthy pregnancy. This is because the thick mucus plug which seals the cervix in pregnant women safeguards the baby against any infection.
- The strong muscles of the uterus as well as the amniotic sac, keep the little one safe in the womb. No damage can be caused by the penis of your partner to the baby while having sex.
- Women can feel some movement of their baby after orgasm. Couples need not worry about the baby, as in no case it would provide discomfort to the baby. The chances of having a premature baby are reduced at times by having sex regularly.
Conditions to Avoid Sex During Pregnancy
- The conditions in pregnancy when it is better to avoid sex mainly include times when any spotting or bleeding occurs during early pregnancy. In such a case, the Doctors advise not to have sex for at least 14 weeks.
- Your doctor may even advise a pregnant woman not to have sex if she has a history of cervical illness, has had heavy bleeding, had a vaginal infection, and in case of the low lying placenta.
- A pregnant woman experiencing frequent abdominal pain or cramps must also avoid sex during their pregnancy.
Sexual Behavior to Avoid During Pregnancy
- There are 2 ways that are not safe and must be avoided while having sex during pregnancy. The first way is oral sex. Any pregnant woman must not allow their spouse to blow air into the vaginal region. Blowing air into the vagina can cause an air embolism, and this can be potentially serious for the mother as well as the baby.
- Pregnant women should not have sex with partners who have an unknown sexual history as there are chances that he is infected with sexually transmitted diseases like HIV or Herpes. The diseases can be easily transmitted to the baby if you have sex with such a partner. It is better to avoid any complications and stay away from sex during the pregnancy period.
If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
Update From Lybrate: Due to stress and hectic lifestyle, sexual bliss has become a dream for many. Buy these Sexual Wellness Products from Lybrate's GoodKart. To keep your sex life alive and kicking,