Last Updated: May 08, 2023
Bleeding Problems - Know The Common Types!
Vaginal bleeding is a common phenomenon in women. Sometimes it is due to cyclical changes in the cycle, while other times, it may be indicative of something unnatural and perhaps severe. Abnormal vaginal bleeding includes:
- Heavy periods: This is a very common phenomenon. Bleeding during periods cannot be measured with optimum accuracy but periods can be considered heavy if it lasts over 7 days, if you need double protection, or if you seem to pass too many clots. It is recommended to consult your doctor if it starts to affect your lifestyle and causes hindrance in your day to day activities. The cause of heavy bleeding during menses is often unclear, but it may be indicative of uterine fibroids or cysts.
- Post-coital bleeding: Post-coital bleeding happens when you bleed after sex. The most likely reason for this to happen is if there is inflammation in the neck of the cervical opening or it is sore. The common cause of this can probably be sexually transmitted diseases such as Chlamydia.
- Inter menstrual bleeding: Bleeding between your periods is also a possibility. There can be several causes for this. It can be broadly indicative of uterine polyps or infections. Polyps are fleshy masses of cells which are basically an abnormal growth in the uterus or cervix.
- Breakthrough bleeds: These bleeds happen very suddenly and spontaneously in the middle of the cycles or close to the menstrual cycles. These can happen when you start contraceptive pills and usually settle down in a matter of a few months.
- Postmenopausal bleeding: Bleeding or spotting post-menopause can be indicative of something more serious. The common causes can be uterine or cervical cancer. Often, it may also happen that the uterus starts to degrade, and small fibrous bleeding or spotting may be visible. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult a specialist & get answers to your questions!