According to recent studies, the percentage of people suffering from Bladder Cancer in India has increased by 32.9% since 1990. Smoking is a leading cause of bladder cancer and this has been attributed to the high number of carcinogenic compounds present.
Men are more prone to developing Bladder Cancer than women. It is a condition where abnormal cell growth takes place in the urothelial cells that are positioned at the core of one’s bladder. The disease if left untreated eventually spreads to the other parts of the urinary tract system.
Tobacco abuse or smoking exposes us to harmful chemicals that get absorbed in the urine. While some of the chemicals get excreted through the urine a part of it is retained by the body. It is these retained chemicals that start lining the inner walls of the bladder and results in the development of Bladder Cancer. There is no point of sustaining an addiction that hinders one’s chances of leading a healthy life. Hence, it is better to quit smoking from today itself. For your benefit, we have come up with a few tips that you can use to embrace a tobacco-free life.
- Make a promise to yourself and make sure you commit to it. You can start this regime by throwing away all your cigarettes, and all those accompanying accessories like lighters, ashtrays and cigarette cases. Try to avoid the company of people who smoke.
- Turn around the triggers: The urge to smoke is triggered by certain situations, for example, you might have a habit of smoking after every meal or after working at a stretch. You can utilize these short breaks by going for a walk instead of talking to a friend. In short, you can do anything that lightens you up.
- Keep yourself occupied: Make sure that you keep yourself busy with work so that you hardly find time to smoke. Eventually, your urge to smoke will dwindle and you will find how well you can function without it.
- Reward yourself: Think about all the money you can save if you don’t waste them in buying cigarettes. Keep aside the money that you save as a result of your commitment. After a month, buy yourself an object of value or start making short investments if you wish to.
- Consult a Physician: If your body is addicted to nicotine, quitting smoking can be hard. In that case, you can talk to a physician and opt for nicotine replacements like sugar-free gums, inhalers or nasal sprays as prescribed by the doctor.
You are bound to feel a positive change once you forego this hazardous habit. Resist yourself from a debilitating disease like Bladder Cancer by saying goodbye to tobacco.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert
& get answers to your questions!