Are you suffering from sleeplessness or disturbed and disrupted sleep? According to Ayurvedic principles, proper sleep, along with a proper diet, and a proper utilization of energy is very important for you to maintain good health. There are several practical Ayurvedic health principles, which can help you sleep better, and boost your body immunity. You can opt to follow these Ayurvedic principles for improving your sleep.
- Maintain a disciplined sleep schedule: You must be very disciplined about your sleep. It has been observed that the mind is stable, dull, and slow from 6pm to 10pm, which is a good time for going to sleep Therefore, try to sleep early, which will enable you to get a good sleep throughout the night, and get up fresh early in the morning next day.
- Mindful eating: You should have an early dinner, between 6:30pm to 7pm. As the sun starts setting, your digestive fire cools down. Hence, by eating a light early meal, your digestion will be improved. This positively impacts your sleep quality as well. Avoid watching television, reading books, or having conversations while you eat. You should concentrate solely on the food you eat and enjoy the various textures, aromas, and flavors of it.
- Oil massage: Oil massage therapy is considered to be very important according to Ayurveda. Oil massages on your feet will help in improving your sleep. There are several nerve endings present in your feet, which get nourished by an oil massage. Massaging relieves stress, makes you feel relaxed, improves your blood circulation, and improves your sleep as a result of all this. You should keep herbal oils with you and get regular foot massages.
- Pranayama: Pranayama is important according to Ayurvedic principles for improving the quality of your sleep. Every day, you should practice a few rounds of alternate nostril breathing known as Nadi Shodhana Pranayama. This is excellent for your mind and helps in calming down your nervous system. As a result, you get a better and deeper sleep.
- Practice self compassion: Ayurveda states that your wellness and health depends largely on a proper balance between the mind, body, and soul. Some people make us feel charged up and positive after talking to them, while some people drain us emotionally and leave us annoyed. You should avoid the negative vibes and stay in a positive environment. Be mindful about who you speak to before going to sleep. It is recommended that you turn off your cell phone, computer, television, and social media activity at least two hours before going to sleep.
Exercise regularly in order to keep fit and physically healthy, as a healthy body leads to a healthy mind. This is essential for an improved sleep. Also avoid consuming caffeine, and any form of stimulant, especially after 3pm. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ayurveda.