Asthma - Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, and Home Remedies (World Asthma Day Special)
Mool Chand Gupta
91% (34490 ratings)
MD - Pulmonary, DTCD
42 years experience
Asthma is a chronic lung disease that inflames and narrows the airways. The narrowing of the airway causes recurrent asthma attacks, wherein air flow to lungs is obstructed. Asthma causes recurring periods of wheezing, chest tightness, shortness of breath, and coughing. It cannot be completely cured but it can be helped with minimizing triggers
The triggers can be different for different people. Most common triggers come from:
1) In house - Mold (fungi), dust mites, cockroaches, pet dander.
2) Outside - Air pollution, smog, cigarette, smoke, paint fumes, chemicals, sprays, pollen, industrial dust
3) Allergies - Peanuts, eggs, fish, lactose and food preservatives
4) Other Triggers - Physical exercise, anxiety, agitation, respiratory infections, medications like aspirin, ibuprofen, etc.
Here are top home remedies to control the attack and keep their frequency and intensity low.
1) Ginger - Ginger helps a great deal. You can consume crush it, mix its juice with honey and consume it or boil it in water and drink.
2) Honey - Mix a spoon of honey with 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and have it right before bed. Also, you can add a spoon of honey in warm water and sip on it during the day. Honey and ginger juice in equal parts is very soothing too.
3) Figs - Having figs that have been soaked overnight helps in controlling asthma. Consuming dried figs helps in flushing out the phlegm from your respiratory tract.
4) Mustard - A mixture of warm mustard oil and camphor can be massaged on chest for instant relief. A spoon of mustard oil mixed with an equal quantity of sugar is known to alleviate the symptoms.
found this helpful