Alice In Wonderland Syndrome - 6 Signs You Are Suffering From It
Written and reviewed by
M A Psychology, Integrated Clinical Hypnotherapy, Post Graduate Diploma in Child Guidance
Psychologist, Navi Mumbai
26 years experience
Alice in Wonderland Syndrome is referred to as AIWS syndrome and is often called micropsia, is a rare neurological disorder which is often manifested in the form of alterations and/or distortions in body shapes and sizes, including their own, in the mind of the affected. Though this condition is mostly observed in children, a number of adults have also been diagnosed with AIWS.
The most common form of AIWS is found among those suffering from an acute form of epilepsy, especially temporal lobe epilepsy.
Another main cause for Alice in Wonderland Syndrome is the presence of the Epstein-Barr virus in the body and mononucleosis (called 'mono' or the 'kissing disease').
- Body image alteration: The most common symptom of Alice in Wonderland syndrome is an untoward alteration in the shape and size of the body images that is perceived by the affected individual. Most reported cases indicate that the individual often sees a distorted size of the hands and the head, usually enlarged from normal size, which is called as 'metamorphosis'.
- Untoward alteration in visual perception: The sufferer misconceives the size and shapes of objects in front of them, due to incorrect perception of the things around them. Not only people, even mundane everyday objects such as cars, houses etc. may appear larger or smaller than reality.
- Distorted time perception: For several people, reports have suggested time distortions that is time moving slower or quicker than what reality.
- Distorted perception of touch: In people who reported this abnormality, familiar objects seemed to have a different feeling or sensation in response to touch, which may be unrecognized or incorrect.
- Distorted sound perception: Unfamiliarity to familiar sounds and non-recognition has also been reported in several cases.
- Headaches: The diseases often manifests itself through an excessively high number of migraines.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert
& get answers to your questions!
found this helpful