If you are young chances are you aren’t worried about this particular neurodegenerative disease, and rightly so since the only people afflicted by it are above the age of 50. Although, there are a lot of cases where it develops in the younger age bracket, so you need to be careful and examine the signs of early onset Parkinson’s and be wary if any of these symptoms apply to you.
Parkinson’s is a neurological disorder wherein the dopamine-producing neurons are affected in a particular area of the brain. It can cause tremors and balance problems, eventually worsening over time. Here are some signs that you should keep an eye out for:
- Tremors: If you are experiencing tremors, while at rest, in your hands, arms, fingers or your jaw then it is a sign that you need to be aware about. In an excitable or stressful situation, the tremors may even worsen.
- Micrographia: Your hand movements become restricted and, as a result, your handwriting may become cramped and the words smaller in size. Examine your handwriting from the past with your present one, if you find a noticeable difference in the size and positioning of the letters and if you feel like the sentences are extremely crowded together, be wary.
- Olfactory issues: One of the symptoms of early onset could be the loss of the sense of smell. If you feel like you can’t sense stronger aromas like that of spices and pickle or even bananas as well as others and it isn’t because your nose is blocked then you need to be on the lookout.
- Sleeping troubles: There are times when you feel restless in bed while trying to sleep. If this becomes a routine then it could be a sign that you are prone to Parkinson’s. Sudden movements and jerking while sleeping is a bad sign.
- Stiffness: If your arms and joints feel stiff without reason, and you feel like free body movement is restricted or limited if you feel like you can’t swing your arms or move your fingers freely, it is a definite sign that you might have Parkinson’s. Stiffness can even lead to muscle pain in various parts of the body. Bradykinesia or slowness of movement is common with the stiffness of the body.
- Constipation: If every time you have to defecate you have to strain yourself and put a lot of pressure on your bowels, and bowel movement does not come naturally or easily, even with the inclusion of roughage in your diet, it is a symptom.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!