Herpes is caused due to the presence of the herpes simplex virus in your body. Herpes can appear on multiple areas of your body, but more commonly manifests in the genitals as well as the mouth. The two types of herpes are HSV-1 (oral herpes) and HSV-2 (responsible primarily for the outbreak of genital herpes).
Causes of Herpes Simplex:
- Herpes is contagious in nature and can be passed to you by having sexual intercourse with anyone who has been infected. HSV 2 is the primary form of the virus, which is transmitted in this manner.
- Herpes could be transmitted to an infant from their mother if she was infected while pregnant.
- It can also get passed through direct contact like using the same plates or spoons or even the sharing of lip balm. Even kissing can spread the virus if the infected person has cold sores.
Symptoms of Herpes Simplex:
- The presence of blistering sores within the mouth or in the genital area is a telltale sign that you may have contracted genital herpes.
- If you are having painful urination then you should check with your doctor for the herpes virus.
- Continuous itching in certain areas such as the genitals.
- Not wanting to eat, having a fever could also be symptoms of herpes simplex virus in your body.
- Herpes can spread to your eyes and is known as herpes keratitis. It can cause pain in your eyes.
Diagnosis of Herpes Simplex:
- The common way to diagnose herpes is with an actual physical exam. Doctors will generally look out for sores on your body and may also check for some similar symptoms which might indicate herpes simplex.
- HSV testing (alternately called herpes culture) is done to check the presence of a virus on the genitals. A fluid sample from the genitals is sent to laboratory for tests and will require a visit to the health center.
- There are blood tests to look for antibodies for both forms of HSV to diagnose the infections. However, this test is done only when there is and absence of sores or visible symptoms.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!