It is a medical condition in which there is a damage in the continuity of the bone. In simple words it is called broken bone. The symptoms are :
1. Severe pain in the area of fracture
2. Fast swelling
3. Edema of soft tissues
4. Muscle spasms
HOW IS BONE FRACTURE DIAGNOSED?
A specialist from the orthopaedic department can diagnose the condition with the help of a detailed physical examination as well as X Rays, MRI scans and CT scans to find out the extent of the damage and what kind of a fracture the patient may have suffered.
HOW IS BONE FRACTURE TREATED?
Bone healing is a natural process. Fracture reduction treatment is based on the severity of the condition. IT may be done by manipulation, closed reduction (pulling the bone fragments), surgery or immobilization which include plaster casts or plastic functional braces, metal plates and screws, etc.
DID YOU KNOW?
The worst thing for a broken bone is to move it. This will hurt the person and it can make the injury worse! In the case of a broken arm or leg, a grown-up may be able to cushion or support the surrounding area with towels or pillows.
Osteoporosis is a bone disorder where the bone density decreases, increasing the risk of a broken bone. It can affect both men and women but women are more likely to develop the condition as compared to men. Back bones, the forearm bones and the bones of the hip are the bones that mostly gets affected. You will feel severe pain and also find it difficult to walk or move. The lesser the bone mass, the greater risk of bone loss. Also chemotherapy, anti seizure medications, steroids and some other reasons increases the risk of more bone loss. There are no major symptom of bone loss, however, certain changes that takes place with bone loss are:
• Back pain
• Height loss
• Stooped posture
• Bone fracture
Osteoporosis occurs when the body fails to renew the lost bone mass and the risk increases with age. There are few other factors which increases the risk of having osteoporosis such as:
1. Age, race, family history and body frame size
2. Too much or too little levels of certain hormones
3. Lack of calcium, unhealthy eating habits and gastrointestinal surgery
5. Other medications
6. Lifestyle habits
Treatment depends upon the condition of the bone loss. Doctors usually prescribe bisphosphonates to all the people suffering from osteoporosis. However there exist certain side effects such as nausea, heartburn and abdominal pain which can be avoided if the medicines are taken as directed.
Osteoporosis generally results from weak and brittle bones. So a slight fall or injury at the affected area can result in a broken bone or a fracture. Following are the types of fracture:
1. Leg fracture- a crack or breakage in any of the three leg bones can result in a leg fracture. Usually caused by an injury, medicine, physical therapies, ultrasound therapy and surgery proves effective in treatment.
2. Greenstick fractures- a greenstick fracture occurs when your bone cracks and bends but does not shatter completely. It is most common in children caused by a fall or an injury. Treatment depends on the severity of the fracture. Certain pain medications and sedatives are also prescribed by the doctor.
3. Clavicle fracture- a broken collarbone also known as a clavicle fracture, which can occur at any age. An injury in the collarbone is the most probable cause of clavicle fracture. Sagging shoulder, inability to lift with hands, bruising and swelling are some of the symptoms of clavicle fracture.
4. Hand fracture- a crack in one of the bones of the hand can result in a hand fracture. Medications, surgery and adequate rest can help in improving the condition.
5. Humerus fracture- any injury to the bone in the upper arm can cause a humerus fracture. This type of fracture generally do not require any surgery, but medicines are prescribed to reduce the pain
6. Patella fracture- a fracture of the kneecap is patella fracture. Any injury to the knee cap can cause patella fracture. Surgical and non-surgical treatments are recommended by the doctor depending on the severity of the condition.
Adequate exercise, healthy diet, maintain proper body weight, calcium and vitamin d intake and healthy lifestyle can help you get rid of osteoporosis.
Lybrate offers you to consult the top orthopaedic surgeons in Visakhapatnam, Bangalore, Pune, Hyderabad, Mumbai etc.