The Central Licensing Authority has approved Bharat Biotech manufactured COVAXIN for restricted administration to prevent COVID-19 caused by SARS-CoV-2. As per the guidelines made in the public interest, the sale and use of the vaccine are restricted to emergency situations in individuals 18 years of age and older only.
The base of the vaccine was developed with the combination of inactivated/killed virus and aforementioned chemicals like-
- 6µg of whole-virion inactivated SARS-CoV-2 antigen (Strain: NIV-2020-770)
- aluminum hydroxide gel (250 µg)
- TLR 7/8 agonist (imidazoquinolinone) 15 µg,
- 2-phenoxyethanol 2.5 mg,
- phosphate buffer saline up to 0.5 ml.
Both of the doses made of Bharat Biotech COVAXIN injection need to be conducted by a trained medical professional. It is needed to be injected into the deltoid muscle found in the upper arm. One must take at least a 4 weeks gap between the first and the second dose of injection.
To conduct the vaccination, a fine needle of 23 - 25 gauge is advised, which must be followed by firm pressure applied to the site for at least 2 minutes. Do not rub or create any friction on the site of the wound as it can worsen the pain and discomfort.
Starting with the benefits, the positive aspect of taking COVAXIN as it has 81% efficiency against covid-19 ( as per the outgoing clinical trials). It is successful in generating immunity against the SARS-CoV-2 virus in its 2 dose course given in the time gap of 4 weeks.
In case a person is suffering from conditions like Blood Thinner Or Coagulant, Allergies or you are Immunocompromised the vaccine can be life-threatening. Not only will they show serious symptoms but can also cause permanent physical damage.
- Blood Thinner Or Coagulant:In case a person is undergoing anticoagulation therapy below the upper threshold of their therapeutic range can be administered with intramuscular vaccination with no problem. Otherwise, they can develop a condition of haematoma formation. Also, frequent intake of simple blood thinners like aspirin or clopidogrel can cause the bleeding of needle wounds a little longer than usual. It can also lead to increased bruising on the upper arm.
- Allergies:if you have allergies that are triggered by any of the vaccine ingredients then it is not safe for you to receive the vaccination. On the contrary, people with other allergic reactions such as environmental allergies, allergies to food, pet dander, venom, oral medications, or latex can receive vaccination as they are not related to coronavirus or its vaccine elements.
Note:People with a medical or family history of anaphylaxis are advised not to get vaccinated.
- Immunocompromised:HIV infection or other immunocompromised patients may have a high risk for severe COVID-19. As per the data collected so far, people with these conditions may not generate a full immune response against COVID-19. Also, people who had an organ transplant should consult their case doctor before going for vaccination, as the procedure can decrease an individual's immune system which can be fatal after getting vaccinated.
Consult your medical professional to have a checkup for any underlying conditions like Blood Thinner Or Coagulant, Allergies or you are Immunocompromised. Discuss the same with your vaccine officer or supervisor. Mild fever or any medicine intake/ illness that affects your immune system should be taken under concern before injecting the vaccine.
These precautions are important, especially for pregnant or breastfeeding women, or if you already have received a full course of another COVID-19 vaccine.
Post vaccine precautions will include lifestyle changes like drinking plenty of water, avoiding smoking or drinking, etc. followed by regular checkups for any allergic reaction or side effects that can be serious.
There is no specific information available on the mixing of the vaccine, so medical professionals advised not to doses of two vaccines as it can be lethal and harmful for an individual immune system.
COVAXIN vaccine has some minor setbacks such as:
This drug can be used in below-mentioned conditions
Are there any pregnancy warnings?
This vaccine is found to be safe to be used in pregnant women. Clinical studies are still under process and there could be any unforeseen effect on the fetus which is yet to be identified.
Are there any breast-feeding warnings?
This vaccine is still under clinical trial and for now its effect is unknown in nursing women.
Is It safe with alcohol?
It is advised to avoid alcohol consumption for a brief period of time before getting vaccinated, as it might affect people’s immune responses to the jab.
Is it safe to drive while on this medicine?
This vaccine is not found to affect people's consciousness. If you feel dizzy, then you must avoid driving.
Does this affect kidney function?
Vaccine is safe to be administered to the patient with kidney disease of any severity.
This vaccine has been demonstrated to cause or worsen chronic liver diseases.
Below is the list of medicines, which contains COVAXIN as ingredient
COVAXIN is composed of the inactivated SARS-CoV-2 antigen. After administration it provides the blueprint to build the body's defense for your cells against the virus. This helps the body to generate an antibody response, and to retain the information in the memory cells of the immune system, along with the goal of attacking the virus if the vaccinated person is exposed to the virus.
Lybrate is a medium to provide our audience with the common information on medicines and does not guarantee its accuracy or exhaustiveness. Even if there is no mention of a warning for any drug or combination, it never means that we are claiming that the drug or combination is safe for consumption without any proper consultation with an expert.
Lybrate does not take responsibility for any aspect of medicines or treatments. If you have any doubts about your medication, we strongly recommend you to see a doctor immediately.