Doctors for Alcoholic Liver Disease in Bammapur oni, Hubli-Dharwad
ratings and reviews)
Patient reviews for Doctors for Alcoholic Liver Disease in Bammapur oni, Hubli-Dharwad
Kalmesh's review for Dr. R. V. Desai
yea it was nice meeting doctor .... was satisfied with hi consultant Read more reviews
ALCOHOLIC LIVER DISEASE
Alcohol is the major cause of liver disease. Excessive consumption of Alcohol leads to liver disease including fatty liver, alcoholic hepatitis, chronic hepatitis, fibrosis or cirrhosis. The various symptoms of alcohol liver disease are: • Fluid build up of the legs (edema) and in the abdomen (ascites) • Yellow color in the skin, mucous membranes, or eyes (jaundice) • Redness on the palms of the hands • In men, impotence, shrinking of the testicles, and breast swelling • Easy bruising and abnormal bleeding • Confusion or problem in thinking • Pale or clay-colored stools
HOW IS ALCOHOLIC LIVER DISEASE DIAGNOSED?
Diagnosis of Alcoholic liver disease in Gastroenterology includes • Full abdominal check up following USG • CBC • Liver function tests and biopsy • Coagulation study
HOW IS ALCOHOLIC LIVER DISEASE TREATED?
Treatment includes medications such as vitamin K, water pills, antibiotics, endoscopic treatments, fluid removal from abdomen, TIPS, etc. Liver transplant at extreme cases of cirrhosis can be done.
DID YOU KNOW?
The liver is a large organ which performs many jobs in the body. It processes what you eat and drink into energy. Alcohol can damage the liver cells when consumed in large quantity.
Liver is the second most important organ in your body and liver problems can cause serious damage to your life. The main function of liver in your body is to filter the blood toxins, break the proteins and secretion of bile to help our body absorb fats. The over consumption of alcohol results in the damage to the liver and viral hepatitis is the main cause of damage. Over the years many people have lost their lives due to liver failure as acetaldehyde damages the liver. Acetaldehyde is the toxic material present in alcohol. Though your liver can repair the damage and is very good at regenerating, but the matter of fact that with three quarter of damage to your liver can still make it function properly. Long term consumption of alcohol can cause liver cirrhosis and it is the considered an end stage of liver disease.
The following are the factors that can increase the chances of liver disease
1. Gender- It must be noted by you that women have lesser power to metabolize alcohol than men and hence more susceptible to alcoholic liver disease. Alcohol can damage the liver function more in women
2. Hepatitis C- If you have history of hepatitis than you have more risks associated with alcohol related liver failure
3. Diet of alcoholics matter as they eat poorly which increase liver disease
4. Iron content overload
Alcohol liver disease has three major stages and those are:
1. Alcohol fatty liver- Heavy drinking can cause the accumulation of fatty acid in your liver. Fatty liver as it is called can make you experience weakness, abdominal pain, appetite loss and unwell feeling called malaise.
2. Liver cirrhosis- this is life threatening condition of liver failure and you must stop the consumption of alcohol and go to your health advisor. The damage due to liver cirrhosis is irreversible and longer you stay away from alcohol, the better will your liver function improve. You may also in other extreme cases need a liver transplant to survive. Around 10 -20 per cent of people develop liver cirrhosis due to consumption of alcohol.
In early stage of liver cirrhosis you will feel weak and lose weight. Pain in abdomen and loss of appetite are the other effects of liver cirrhosis.
In the final stages or end stage of liver cirrhosis you will experience hair loss, dark urine, walking problems and changes in personality.
There is another stage called alcohol hepatitis, in which there is inflammation of the liver which can be recovered if you abstain from drinking. In the case of alcohol hepatitis you will have to abstain from alcohol for years to avoid any liver problems.
The damage to liver is sometimes irreversible and can cause death. Lybrate gives you the ultimate chance to contact the best hepatologists who will give you the best consultation in the industry. Lybrate offers you the best medical practitioners related to liver problems and liver failure in Patna, Rajkot, Surat, Thane, Thoothukudi. Subscribe to Lybrate to know more about cirrhosis and fatty liver.
Top are results of best doctors for Alcoholic Liver Disease in Bammapur oni. You may see the doctor reviews by their patients and their peers and choose the best doctor. You can even post a free question on Lybrate.