Dandruff is basically a side effect or result of excessive dry scalp and is often referred to as seborrheic dermatitis. In many cases it can be the result of underlying conditions like psoriasis or even eczema of the scalp. The symptoms of the same include extreme itchiness in the scalp area followed with very flaky white formation on the same.
HOW IS DANDRUFF DIAGNOSED?
It is usually diagnosed by a dermatologist by physical examination of the scalp
HOW IS DANDRUFF TREATED?
Dandruff can almost always be controlled, but dandruff treatment may take patience and persistence. In general, daily cleansing with a gentle shampoo to reduce oiliness and skin cell buildup can often help mild dandruff. When dandruff is caused due to other illness e.g. eczema or infection then treating them would help in reducing dandruff. Many home care remedies can help deal with dandruff e.g. oiling the scalp, moisturizing the scalp, avoiding harsh chemicals and treatments, etc.
DID YOU KNOW?
Many people believe that dandruff is caused by poor hygiene, but this is not true. Although infrequent shampooing can make dandruff more obvious, researchers are still studying the causes, which appear to be complex.
Dandruff is a dermatological condition of the scalp that affects more than 50% of the population regardless of their gender or ethnicity. Its occurrence varies with the season, usually intensifying during the winter. Dandruff causes the scalp to flake and itch. It is sometimes accompanied with red patches and tingling sensation of the skin. Dandruff can be caused by a number of reasons including dryness of the skin, seborrheic dermatitis, improper cleaning or scrubbing, frequent use of shampoo, reaction against hair- care products or due to medical dermatological conditions like psoriasis and eczema. It may also be caused due to fungal infections.
If you consider how to remove dandruff you would probably be informed that there are no long-lasting dandruff remedies. The known remedies for dandruff include treatment with specialized shampoos and other home-remedies for dandruff. Home –remedies for dandruff are considered very effective to get rid of dandruff. To get rid of dandruff effectively, you may consider dandruff treatment at home.
The natural remedies for dandruff include the following methods:
• Massage your hair with a mixture of your regular shampoo and two crushed aspirins for two minutes each. Rinse your hair and re-wash with normal shampoo. Aspirin contains salicylic acid which helps remove dandruff.
• Add a few drops of tea-tree oil to your shampoo.
• Rub a small quantity of baking soda onto your scalp and rinse thoroughly. It removes the fungi causing dandruff.
• Sprinkle a solution of one-quarter cup of apple-cider vinegar with one-quarter water on the scalp. Follow it up with washing your hair after wrapping the head in a towel for 15 minutes-1 hour. The acid content of the vinegar makes it difficult for the fungi to survive on the scalp.
• After shampooing your hair, rinse it with your mouthwash. Remember to use your conditioner next. The anti-fungal property of the mouthwash helps to remove dandruff.
• Rub 2 tablespoons of lemon juice into your scalp and rinse with water in which 1 teaspoon lemon juice has been added. Continue this daily till you get rid of the dandruff.
• Massage your scalp with aloe-vera before shampooing. This will reduce the itching significantly.
• Use a mixture of crushed garlic with honey before shampooing to remove dandruff completely.
• Massage your scalp with 10-12 tablespoons of olive oil and leave overnight. When you shampoo the following morning, you will have cured dandruff.
• Apply a paste of fenugreek powder with water to your hair. Wash off with a mild shampoo.
• Make a paste of neem leaves with warm water. Let it sit on the scalp for an hour and wash it off. Alternatively, you could soak the neem leaves in warm water overnight and use that after to wash your hair.
OTC products like zinc pyrithione, selenium sulphide, coal tar, ketoconazole and salicylic acids are also effective home-remedies for dandruff.
At Lybrate, we offer you instant online access to the top dermatologists. You can consult them directly or by booking appointments online. Find the best dermatologists in Thoothukudi, Vadodara, Visakhapatnam, Bangalore, Pune etc. We offer you solutions for all your medical problems. Find doctor recommended home-remedies for dandruff at Lybrate with the touch of a button. Subscribe to Lybrate.com for useful tips on how to cure dandruff.