Age spots are flat, brown, grey or black spots that are formed on the skin due to prolonged exposure to sun. Also known as solar lentigines, age spots commonly occur on face, hands, upper back, shoulders and forearms. They are formed due to excessive formation of melanin. Symptoms include light brown to dark color spots, devoid of pain, appearing on sun exposed areas
HOW IS AGE SPOTS DIAGNOSED?
It is easy to diagnose age spots as they can be well defined and uniformly colored shades that appear on skin. Dermatologists can check and readily figure them out with or without any major test.
HOW IS AGE SPOTS TREATED?
Treatment of age spots can be done thoroughly with HQ and retinol based creams which are known to work faster and better than others. Microdermabrasion, chemical spot treatments and chemical peels, as well as light therapies can be used to treat age spots. Homeopathy and Ayurvedic treatments are also quite effective.
DID YOU KNOW?
Most people use cosmetics to remove age spots. But cosmetics only conceal age spots and do not remove them.
Age spots or liver spots can be very irritating and can ruin your flawless skin. It can also make you seem older than your actual age, liver spots occur due to prolonged exposure to sunlight. Liver spots occur in the hand, neck and other body parts which are exposed to the sun. Liver spots on the face can also occur if you have more than average melanin content in your skin. Melanin gives pigmentation to your skin. Excess of melanin can also be harmful for your body. Sometimes, tanning beds can also cause liver spots, because it contains ultraviolet radiation which is harmful for our health.
Liver spots are not permanent and can easily be removed. Ways of dark spot removal are-
1. Retin-A- It is very helpful in reducing liver spots on the face. Retin-A is a cream which is helpful for combating old age signs and symptoms such as wrinkles, discoloration and elasticity of the skin. It is necessary to exfoliate your skin before using Retin-A. Liver spots can be reduced to a great deal by using Retin-A.
2. Glycolic acid- If you use products containing glycolic acid, liver spots can disappear by constant use. Glycolic acid can be very harsh on the skin, as it can cause redness and can even itch. So it is important to get a doctor’s prescription before using glycolic acid for removing age spots.
3. Use sunscreen- When you step out of the house, it is important to put a generous amount of sunscreen on your face so to prevent sunburns. This is because sun exposure is considered the biggest reason for liver spots. Taking precautions from the ultra-violet rays are highly important to reduce liver-spots.
4. Buttermilk- It contains lactic acid and it is naturally very beneficial for your skin. It soothes the liver spots and promotes healthy and glowing skin without recurrence of dark spots on the face.
5. Honey and yogurt- These are the safest and the most readily available option to reduce dark spots on the face. Applying this twice a day will help remove age spots considerably.
How do dark spots on the face occur?
Dark spots on the face look extremely disruptive if you have fair skin. They can make you shy and can make your confidence level go down. Dark spots on the face can occur due to a variety of reasons such as:
1. Facial hair removal- Dark spots on the face can occur due to facial hair removal. Many times we use tweezers or hair depilating creams. This can make your face pigmented because the chemical and the bleach in hair depilatory creams are extremely harmful and can cause Dark spots on the face.
2. Hormonal changes- Many times, women who reach puberty or go through menopause, have a lot of changes in their body. This can disrupt their body functions and the fluctuations in estrogen levels can make your skin prone to Dark spots on the face.
3. Sun exposure- As discussed earlier, sun exposure is the most important cause of skin spots. You should prevent tanning beds and going out in the sun without proper protection. The harmful rays of the sun are capable of creating pigmentation on the skin that gives rise to Dark spots on the face.
Age spots in the hand are also caused by prolonged sun exposure. Wearing full body covering clothing can prevent you from getting age spots in the hand.
Lybrate offers you to consult the top dermatologists in Agra, Ahmedabad, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Chandigarh etc.