Dermabrasion is a procedure where the top layer of the skin is removed by using a diamond wheel or a wire brush. The brush or the wire is rotated on the top layer of the skin and injures it. As the injury heals, new skin is formed. The procedure is used to clear scars from acne and other lines in the face.
The factors to be considered are the coarseness of the brush or the wire, the duration and the pressure applied.
There are certain things to keep in mind before undergoing the procedure:
- Too much sun exposure can damage the skin on the face. So take necessary precautions both before and after the surgery.
- Few days prior to the surgery, it is advised to stop using harsh exfoliating products on the skin. If all the unwanted cells are removed before the procedure then the healthy cells will be removed during the procedure.
- It can result in bleeding and scarring.
- Moisture is removed from the skin during the procedure so it is advised to moisturize the face on a regular basis.
- This procedure increases blood flow to the skin so the skin remains healthy. It also increases the skin's elasticity.
- This procedure also helps people who have large pores on their skin.
- It can help in getting rid of hyperpigmentation and age spots.
- The procedure helps in penetration of the various cosmetic products so the cosmetic effects are more prominent.
- The procedure tends to give better results in younger people than older people.
- The procedure lasts for about 30 minutes.