The body is in a constant state of metabolism, which produces toxins or waste substances that need to be removed. Not removing them can affect the efficiency of the whole body system and result in various diseases.
Ayurveda believes that an individual’s well-being and overall health are the results of balance maintained between the three body fluids (pitta, Vata, and Kapha). Regular detoxification helps in restoring balance and thereby preventing diseases.
Read on to know some of the most effective detox methods from Ayurveda.
- Fasting: One of the best ways to clear the body of accumulated toxins is fasting. Fasting for shorter periods at regular intervals (like a chosen day of the week every week) is preferred. The overall benefits are reduced gas, fresher breath, mental clarity, overall well-being, and detoxification. You can choose to fast with only fruits, only water, only light foods, or complete fast depending on your body.
- Panchakarma massage: There are structured massage programs using essential oils and last for 4 days. There is a simple dietary regimen to be followed which washes the digestive system thoroughly and flushes out toxins through the colon.
- Detox programs: Ayurveda has detox programs of varying periods from daily to 4 days to 45 days. The salient features of these detox programs would be the same. There is a reference to ama which is the undigested residue from food that is present in the colon. During any of the detox program, the objective is to remove the ama, which is believed to be the causative factor for all digestive diseases.
- Eat at the same time every day, with complete attention on the food
- Do not fast or skip meals
- Eat only if you are hungry, after the previous meal has completely digested
- Do not eat to your full capacity
- When at your table, give 2 minutes before eating and 2 minutes after finishing the meal
- The lunch should be the main meal, with lighter meals at breakfast and dinner
- Eat warm, fresh, light vegetarian foods like roti, daal, whole grains, and vegetables.
- Sleep well, as your body requires more sleep during this process
- Hydrate yourself with warm water and/or teas to help flush out toxins
- Develop a regular light exercise regimen, which will improve digestion and eliminate wastes
- Try massage like Abhyanga followed by a warm shower
With these simple steps, see yourself detoxed and healthy with renewed vitality and energy. These are preferred to be done at the change of season to a colder one so that the body is rid of the toxins and fresh to take on the season. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ayurveda.