Stress can be defined as the way in which human body responds to any kind of threat or demand. When you feel stressed, the central nervous system releases some “stress hormones” like cortisol and adrenaline which trigger the whole body for urgent action. For successful stress management, you will have to practice techniques that particularly work for you. This is because what may work for others may not be as helpful for you and vice versa. Also the way, stress manifests itself differs from individual to individual. However, practicing these basic techniques may help.
Find out the habits that make you stressful:
- It is absolutely easy to know what is making you feel helpless and stressed out and this is the first thing you must do for yourself.
- You should now try to ignore your thoughts, sadness and behaviors that constantly make you stressful. By doing this, you will be able to understand whether it is really the demand from different aspects of your life or it is you who is contributing to the stress.
- You may start maintaining a stress journal where you will jot down what has made you stressful and how you felt about it and finally, how you reacted. You can continue keeping it until you see significant improvements.
Eliminate unhealthy habits with healthy coping strategies:
- Relax and contemplate about how you try to manage stress presently. Do you take any medications and how far are they effective in managing your stress?
- There are some people who resort to smoking, taking anti-depressants, withdrawing from family and loved ones, sleeping more than needed and taking out the stress on other people. You should also consider the long-term effects of your present coping strategies.
- If you find that your coping strategies are not quite effective, it is probably time to change and replace them with healthy habits.
Get up and start moving:
- Physical activities can help you to a great extent when you are willing to cope up with the daily stress. That doesn’t mean you will have to become an athlete to reduce stress.
- Spending an hour doing free hand exercises or even at the gym can be considerably beneficial.
- This is because when you perform some physical activity, it releases endorphins which are known as “happy hormones.” This can boost your mood and burn out the frustration and anger that are putting you down.
- Start following these easy steps today to see desirable reduction in stress levels.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!