Laser is an accepted mode of treatment for many disorders such as those of the skin. It is also increasingly being used to remove unwanted hair on your face, underarms, the pelvic area, chest etc. People who do not want to shave, wax or tweeze, go in for the laser removal of hair. During this procedure, small bursts of laser energy are let out on the affected areas of your skin. The hair follicles absorb the energy and in the process, get burnt. There are very few chances of their re-growth.
There are 3 main benefits from this mode of treatment
- Focused action: If you are imagining that laser treatment involves sending a broad beam of light then it is not true. The laser is a very highly focused stream of energy that treats only the selected area and leaves out the surrounding patch. So, do not worry, only the targeted hair will get affected and not the neighboring skin.
- Speed: Laser treatment for reduction or removal of hair is amazingly quick. Each laser burst lasts for just a fraction of a second. If you want the hair to be removed from the upper lip area, then the treatment will last for just a minute. Reduction of hair from the back of the legs, thighs etc. takes nearly an hour.
- Predictability: Many patients have reported a permanent removal of their hair after four to seven sessions of laser treatment. No wonder that more and more people across the world are opting for laser treatment of unwanted hair.
How to prepare for laser hair reduction
While laser hair reduction is fast and precise, it is advisable that you follow certain steps to make it more effective.
- Always consult your dermatologist before going in for this treatment. Your skin type may or may not respond to laser. There may be a certain complication that only your doctor can foresee and predict and advise accordingly. Also, check the credentials of the technician who is going to perform the laser surgical on you.
- Avoid using electrolysis, waxing and other superficial procedures for at least six weeks before going in for laser treatment. The laser targets the roots of the hair permanently. If the same hair has already been treated by waxing etc., the effects of laser treatment will be significantly reduced.
- No skin exposure before and after for six weeks. Unless you do this, the effectiveness of laser treatment for hair reduction will be greatly diminished.
Recovering from laser treatment
After the laser treatment, your affected skin will look and feel as if it has been overexposed to the sun. To mitigate these symptoms, you need to apply moisturisers and cool compresses. Wear sunscreen and make-up if your facial hair has been treated by laser. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!