Pregnancy is usually one of the most important times in a woman’s life. Pregnancies are divided into four terms. These include the early term where the delivery happens after 37 weeks, the full term where delivery happens after 39 weeks, the later term where the delivery takes place after 41 weeks and the fourth or post-term stage where the delivery happens after 42 weeks.
If a pregnancy lasts for two weeks longer that the expected due date, a woman is more likely to experience complications. In such situations, it is recommended that a woman induce the labour or has it done by a doctor.
The medical ways to induce labour are as follows:
1. Cervical ripening helps in making the unborn baby anxious and come out of the womb.
2. Breaking or bursting of the amniotic sac that covers the baby within the uterus. This gets the labour started and is also known as amniotomy.
3. Using oxytocin to induce labour as it tends to ripen the cervix and making more space for the delivery around the uterus by lubricating it further.
4. Naturally occurring chemicals like prostaglandins might be used. These tend to soften the cervix to allow cervical stretching. These can either be delivered to the vagina or taken as an oral medication.
Some of the natural and most effective ways through which labour can be induced are as follows:
1. Relaxation techniques: Self-hypnosis or guided imagery may be useful in inducing labour in certain women.
2. Sex: The uterus tends to contract from the orgasm and release oxytocin. However, women with broken waters or vaginal bleeding should not indulge in this activity.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!