The process of breast augmentation, popularly known as breast enlargement or implants, effectively increases the size of the breasts through insertion of silicone gel implants or saline implants. It is known to be popular among women and is frequently done and shows quite satisfying results.
Why do women opt for breast augmentation?
- Some women opt for implants to enhance their figure
- Others opt for implants, when they experience some sort of sagging or alteration to their breast after a pregnancy or after losing some weight and even due to old age.
- Some women also choose enhancement surgery, if they feel that one breast is smaller than the other.
What does a breast augmentation procedure involve?
Breast augmentation surgery is generally performed, while the patient is under the influence of general anaesthesia. In case of enhancement with the help of implants, an incision is made in the breast tissue and a pocket is created to place the implants. Once these implants are successfully placed the incision is closed and is allowed to heal.
What sort of implants is available?
There are basically 4 types of implants that are recommended on the basis of the body type:
- Saline filled breast implants: These implants contain sterile water and are either pre-filled or filled during the surgery.
- Silicone filled breast implants: These implants contain soft elastic gel and come prefilled. These types of implants also require an incision which is longer in size.
- Cohesive gel silicone implants: Commonly known as 'form stable'implants, they contain cohesive gel that is more firm and thicker than normal silicone implants.
- Autologous fat transfer or fat grafting or liposculpture: It is a well established and safe way to enhance the breast. It is highly dependable and recommended way to increase breast size, reduce sagging and gives natural looking breasts. It doesn't need any incision, so practically no scars.
Breast implants are generally supposed to last for life, but on occasions they may need replacement. Thus regular check ups are essential, so as to monitor the condition of the implants. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor.