Hello, I am Dr Nirupama Parwanda.I am M.D. Dermatology, currently practising at Zolie skin clinic, Kailash Colony, Delhi and Zolie Skin clinic, Sushant Lok 2 in Gurgaon. I would like to discuss acne.
Acne is a very common disorder that is usually seen in the age group of 11 years to 30 years. It is so common that we can even call it physiological. There is a gland known as the sebaceous gland which resides alongside our hair follicles, so when it gets stimulated, when the size of the gland increases, the secretion increase. There is a lot of inflammation associated with it which leads to bumps on your skin known as acne. So, how do we treat acne? to treat acne, we have to;
- First of all heal the pimples or acne that you currently have over your face, over your trunk, over your chest or your arms.
- Secondly, we have to prevent or we have to stop new acne or pimples from developing. Third of all, which is the most important, we have to prevent scarring that can occur due to acne. Caring for your acne prone skin or a pimple prone skin is very important, the most important step is a gentle cleansing of the skin which is an important part of your regimen.
- You do not have to touch your pimples, squeeze them because that might lead to a lot of scarring.
- While choosing make up you have to go for a non-comedogenic makeup which is oil free.
- You have to clean your make up daily after use.
- For men, especially the ones who are shaving, they need to go a little gentle while shaving. They have to gently shave using the razors and have to soften the skin with soaps so that there is no harsh exfoliations or cuts in the areas which have acne.
- The most important part of the treatment comprises of using creams which fight acne. These creams mainly comprise of Clindamycin, benzoyl peroxide, tretinoin and salicylic acid.
- The other important pillar of treatment is using oral medication and choosing them wisely and using them for an adequate period of time so as to have a long time remission/ period-free from acne.
If you want to get your acne treated, you could contact me on Lybrate for online consultation and you could come by at my clinic in Delhi or Gurgaon.