Last Updated: Aug 29, 2019
How Good Are E-cigarettes, Really?
Written and reviewed by
MD - Psychiatry, MBBS
29 years experience
E-cigarettes : Good Or Bad?
E-cigarettes or electronic cigarettes are vaporizers powered by battery which instigates the feeling of smoking. Though it has emerged as a measure to quit smoking, it is not so successful in achieving the same.
Check out its Benefits Vs Risks
1. Alternative to smoking - For those who find hard to quit smoking can replace this smoke and tobacco free device with the traditional cigarettes and can reduce the intake of smoke or tobacco to minimal.
2. Easy on the pocket book - The cost of e-cigarettes is relatively low than traditional cigarettes. Hence, it fits well under the budget of chain smokers.
3. Reduces the risk to diseases - Cigarette smoking is injurious to health. It can cause innumerable diseases from cancer, stroke, heart attack, pneumonia to osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s etc. E-cigarettes have reduced the risk of many of these diseases for the smokers.
4. Odor free Cigarette - The odor from a smoker after smoking is unbearable. E-cigarettes help get rid of the maleficent odor and so others won’t notice the smell.
1. E-liquids - E-cigarettes have e-liquids which are very harmfull for the body. A small amount of e-liquid is enough to kill a child or an adult. Hence, there is an increased risk to life of a smoker.
2. Lacks labeling - E-cigarettes do not have proper labeling, health warnings, directions to use and its safe disposal technique. Hence, it has an added risk to environment if the e-liquids get exposed/leaked.
3. High levels of Nicotine - Though it is a tobacco and smoke-free cigarette, over usage of the same can make you addicted to nicotine which has further negative impacts on your health.
Hence, e-cigarettes may help in quit smoking, it is equally hazardous to your health.
If you would like to consult with me privately, please click on 'Consult'.
From Lybrate: If you found this tip useful, please thank the doctor by clicking on the heart icon below. Also, spread good health by sharing this tip with your loved ones over WhatsApp, Facebook and other media.
3873 people found this helpful