Weather-induced disorders and illnesses are quite common in tropical countries like India. Till some years back, general hygienic conditions prevailing, particularly in the rural areas were causing many such diseases. But there has been a dramatic improvement in the environment now. However, over exposure to climatic conditions like cold and frost can be harmful. Chilblains is a typical condition brought on by frost bite and due to lack of adequate protection to the feet and the hands. Homeopathy has effective remedies for this condition.
- Chilblains brought about by exposure to severe cold and/or due to frostbite.
- Though the feet (toes) and hands are the most affected parts, the condition can affect the other parts of the body as well, like the ears and face.
- Typical symptoms include lesions on the skin, red hot inflammation and in some cases swelling too can be seen.
- The affected skin can become itchy and burning sensation can also be sensed.
- The elderly, women and children, are the most vulnerable to contract Chilblains though other groups are not immune to it if they too are exposed to the cold for long periods.
- Physical examination is the only diagnosis needed by the medical practitioner before the treatment is started; in a rare case, a skin biopsy is recommended
- Keeping the affected area dry and warm are very important before, during and after the treatment
- Within Homeopathy, the most frequently recommended remedies for Chilblains are Agaricus and Pulsatilla
- Both the internal medicine route and external application of suitable cream/ointment are adopted for treatment
- The internal medicines Agaricus and Pulsatilla are taken in the form of granules and the dosage in terms of the grams to be taken and the number of times in a day will be advised by the homeopathic medical practitioner; for external application, the same are used in tincture form
- The dosage also varies according to the severity of the condition and the age of the person suffering from Chilblains.
- There are other formulations also prescribed by the practitioners
- In general practice, Homeopathy advises that people prone to this condition should start taking the medicines even before the severe cold conditions start
Homeopathy is a stream of medicine that reaches the root of the disorder and takes a long term position that prevention is better than cure. These treatment methods, including for conditions like Chilblains, are recommended after taking a holistic view of the person’s age, body structure health condition and so on. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!