Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is a common type of syndrome that causes changes in the pattern of bowel movements and it is also known as spastic colon. The most common symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome include abdominal pain, changes in the pattern of bowel movements, bloating, backache, headache, and many more.
HOW IS IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME DIAGNOSED?
It is important to seek medical help if undergoing Irritable Bowel Syndrome as it can get severe with time. A General Physician/Gastroenterologist diagnosed Irritable Bowel Syndrome based on the symptoms and by performing a stool test and blood test. In a severe case of Irritable Bowel Syndrome, the doctor may perform a colonoscopy to examine the colon.
HOW IS IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME TREATED?
Besides medication, Irritable Bowel Syndrome can be treated if the patient brings about a change in his/her lifestyle and lives a healthier life. However, in a severe case of Irritable Bowel Syndrome, heavy dose medication can provide relief from the symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
DID YOU KNOW?
There is no cure for Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
A gastrointestinal disorder comprising long term symptoms like abdominal pain and irregular bowel movement pattern without significant lateral internal damage, Irritable bowel syndrome is of the following 4 types:
• IBS with constipation (IBS-C)
• IBS with diarrhea (IBS-D)
• IBS with both diarrhea and constipation (IBS – M)
• IBS in which neither diarrhea or constipation is common (IBS-U)
In the absence of specific causes linked to IBS, the following reasons are usually commonly cited:
• Prolonged fever
• Acute gastrointestinal infection
• Physical and psychological abuse during childhood
• Stress and/or psychiatric illness
• Excessive bacterial or fungal growth in the small intestine
• Protozoal infection
Irritable Bowel Syndrome has the following characteristics:
• Change in bowel habits
• Urgency for bowel movement
• Abdominal pain and discomfort
• Bloating and abdominal distention
• Chronic fatigue, headaches and anxiety
Similar symptoms of abdominal pain and abnormal bowel movements are seen in other conditions like Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), giardiasis and colon cancer. Diagnosis of Irritable Bowel Syndrome therefore presents some practical difficulties.
Inflammatory Bowel Disease usually occurs in the large intestine and may affect:
• The area near the rectum causing rectal bleeding,
• The rectum and the lower end of the colon resulting in blood diarrhea, abdominal cramps and tenesmus (inability to excrete the stool completely),
• The left side of the colon causing severe colon pain, bloody diarrhea and weight loss,
• The entire colon also causing extreme abdominal cramps and colon pain besides inducing inability to eat, diarrhea, and fever as well as weight loss.
The IBS diet includes ingredients which ease the symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome:
• Soluble Fibre: Increasing consumption of soluble fibre helps to make defecation easier by increasing the volume of the stool.
• Low FODMAP diet: Fermentable Oligo- Di- and Monosaccharides and Polyols aggravate the symptoms of IBS. Reducing their intake helps counter the symptoms of IBS as well as IBD effectively.
• Medication: Patients of IBS are often prescribed laxatives for stool softening. In severe cases, morphine and oxycodone may also be administered. Antispasmodics are used against cramps and diarrhea.
If the IBS is a result of psychological or stress related problems, patients may be recommended psychological therapies and stress relief regimens. Yoga focusing on the lower abdominal area, peppermint oil and acupuncture can also be useful in certain cases.
Lybrate brings you the opportunity to communicate directly with the best gastroenterologists and general physicians. Resolve your doubts on the differences between IBS and IBD by asking your questions to the top doctors or book a consultation appointment with the doctor of your choice. Search for the top doctors and gastroenterologists in Bhubaneswar, Chandigarh, Delhi, Faridabad, Ghaziabad, etc. Subscribe immediately to Lybrate.com for information on IBS diet, bowel pain, colon pain and much more.
Consult top doctors for Irritable Bowel Syndrome online with ease at Lybrate.com. You can call doctor online and view their reviews. Book appointments online as well. Lybrate is best source of top doctors in Aamrai, Balaji Nagar, Bapat Mala, Bhokare Colony, Chandani Chowk, Chandanwadi and in any other locality in Sangli for Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
Above are listed top doctors for Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Shivaji Nagar , Sangli. Post a free question today regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome and get answers from top doctors in no time.