Arthritis is a disease in which the joints are inflamed. More than 100 types of arthritis have been identified, each of which are related to wear and tear of the cartilage or even due to an overactive immune system. Symptoms are: • Pain and restricted functioning of joints • Stiffness of joints, swelling, warmth and redness • Tenderness • Fever • Gland swelling • Fatigue • Abnormalities of heart, lungs and kidney
HOW IS ARTHRITIS DIAGNOSED?
Usually, the orthopaedic specialist will put you through a physical examination before conducting an MRI Scan and X Ray to determine the extent of the damage, the cause the condition and the way forward as far as the treatment goes.
HOW IS ARTHRITIS TREATED?
The primary aim of the treatment would be to reduce the pain and avoid further damage to the joints. The Orthopedic surgeon may prescribe medicines along with a combination of other treatments e.g. surgery and physical therapy for best and successful results.
DID YOU KNOW?
There are more than 100 types of arthritis in the world!
What is arthritis?
Most common in adults, arthritis is a condition of inflammation in the joints. Arthritis meaning “joint inflammation” can affect more than one joint at any age. Cartilage, a firm flexible tissue connects and protects the joints during its course varied movements. In case of arthritis, this cartilage often remains inflamed. Some form of arthritis is caused by the decrease in this amount of cartilage. Given below are some arthritis symptoms:
• Joint pain
• Redness around the area
There are two main types of arthritis affecting the joints differently in different people.
1. Osteoarthritis- Chiefly seen in middle aged and elderly people, osteoarthritis is the most common kind of arthritis. Wear and tear of the cartilage occurs between the bones .in such conditions. The affected cartilage breaks down due to mechanical stress and certain biochemical changes in the body. It can occur with rheumatoid and gout arthritis. Following are the few symptoms of osteoarthritis:
• Swelling joints
• A crackling noise with the movement of the joints
• Pain in the joint
Adequate exercise, weight loss, massage, drug therapy and surgery can also help in reducing the symptoms of osteoarthritis.
2. Rheumatoid arthritis or rheumatism- Rheumatism is an autoimmune disorder which occurs when the immune system attacks the tissues of your own body. It is a chronic condition which affects not only your joints but other body systems like skin, lungs, eyes, heart and blood vessels. Rheumatoid arthritis has the following symptoms:
• Stiffness which increases with inactivity
• Fever and fatigue, accompanied with weight loss
• Tender and swollen joints
Rheumatism also affects other bodily parts not connected with the joints such as:
• Nerve tissue
• Blood vessels
These signs and symptoms spread to the elbows, shoulders, hips, knees, wrists and ankles. Rheumatoid arthritis treatment have enhanced greatly and nowadays early treatment can help control the stiffness and knee pain, and also reduce the swelling. It has been observed that people who have been given early treatment, have symptoms reduced and overall health improved. Rheumatoid arthritis is difficult to detect and the symptoms are also not clear with only little joint pain and slight stiffness. However there are no exact treatment to cure rheumatism completely, but the symptoms can be lessened. Frequent check-ups and proper care can help in improving the condition.
Apart from the two main arthritis, the other types of arthritis are:
1. Gouty arthritis- it is a kind of arthritis which cause a sudden burning sensation, stiffness and swelling of the joints. These symptoms continue happening until treatment of the gout is done. Gouty arthritis can affect the joints and other tissues. The risk of having a gouty arthritis increases with obesity, high levels of uric acid in the blood, eating high amounts of fish and meat and also with consumption of alcohol.
2. Reactive arthritis- reactive arthritis is a condition of swelling and painful joints which gets triggered by an infection.
3. Viral arthritis- viral arthritis is a condition of the inflammation of a joint which is caused by a virus related infection
4. Septic arthritis- septic arthritis is caused by a bacterial or fungal infection affecting the joints
Lybrate offers you a chance to contact the top rheumatologists and seek their advice on rheumatoid arthritis. Find top rheumatologists in Ghaziabad, Gurgaon, Indore, Jaipur, Jalandhar etc. lybrate.com offers online guidance and effective solutions to all your medical needs.
Call doctors and view Arthritis treatment cost in Amaravathi Road, Arundelpet, Bapatla, Brodipet, Budampadu, Chandramouli Nagar and in any other locality in Guntur. On Lybrate you can connect with top doctors, book appointment online, see reviews, consultation fees for Arthritis.